- From: rPath Update Announcements <announce-noreply@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:30:52 -0400
rPath Security Advisory: 2007-0214-1
Products: rPath Linux 1
Exposure Level Classification:
Local Information Exposure
rPath Issue Tracking System:
Previous versions of the initscripts package do not set sufficiently
restrictive permissions on the /var/log/btmp file, leading to an
Information Exposure vulnerability in which users' passwords may be
revealed to unprivileged users in cases when the passwords have been
inadvertently entered as usernames at some login prompts.
Because sshd detects the incorrect permissions on /var/log/btmp and
thus does not log failed authentications (instead issuing a warning
about the file permissions to /var/log/secure), and gdm does not
log the user name, this vulnerability is generally limited to failed
logins at the system text console or over a local serial port.
Copyright 2007 rPath, Inc.
This file is distributed under the terms of the MIT License.
A copy is available at http://www.rpath.com/permanent/mit-license.html
- Prev by Date: RE: Remote Desktop Command Fixation Attacks
- Next by Date: Tikiwiki 1.9.8 exploit ITW
- Previous by thread: [CAID 35724, 35725, 35726]: CA BrightStor ARCserve Backup Multiple Vulnerabilities
- Next by thread: Tikiwiki 1.9.8 exploit ITW