Re: defining 0day

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 04:25:30PM -0700, Zow Terry Brugger wrote:
As a professional, I would be happy to see terms like '0day' banished
from the lexicon entirely. It's an essentially meaningless -- all
third-party exploits are zero-day to _somebody_ -- term of boast co-
opted from the warez scene, and we can do perfectly well without it.

I'd accept that. Can we agree on a term that means: "Right now you're
learning about a vulnerability for which there is a working exploit, and no
way to protect yourself short of impacting the availability of your systems
by unplugging them or disabling the affected service."?

I'd propose "unpatched vulnerability with known working exploit", but it's
kind of verbose, and I don't think some of the kids joining our ranks can
string that many complete words together anymore (too much texting).

UV:WE

Unpatched Vulnerability: Working Exploit

. . . or maybe "zero day exploit".

Brian K. Reid: "In computer science, we stand on each other's feet."

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [Full-disclosure] defining 0day
    ... from the lexicon entirely. ... It's an essentially meaningless -- all ... opted from the warez scene, and we can do perfectly well without it. ... I'd propose "unpatched vulnerability with known working exploit", ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: defining 0day
    ... from the lexicon entirely. ... It's an essentially meaningless -- all ... opted from the warez scene, and we can do perfectly well without it. ... I'd propose "unpatched vulnerability with known working exploit", ...
    (Bugtraq)