Re: [Full-disclosure] 0day: PDF pwns Windows

Can we close this thread now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_day

"A zero-day (or zero-hour) attack is a computer threat that exposes undisclosed or unpatched computer application vulnerabilities. Zero-day attacks take advantage of computer security holes for which no solution is currently available."

Steven Adair wrote:
Not in my book. I guess the people on this list are working off too many
different definitions of 0day. 0day to me is something for which there is
no patch/update at the time of the exploit being coded/used. So if I code
an exploit for IE right now and they don't patch it until April September
2008, it's a 0day exploit for a year. It's not necessarily new and it
doesn't have to be used maliciously.

If I code an exploit (for which there is no patch) and use it on my own
servers, does that mean it's not 0day? I don't think so. If my WordPress
blog gets owned by pwnpress, that's not 0day.. there's patches/updates for
everything on there. It just makes me an idiot for not upgrading. Now if
I get hit with some WP exploit that's not patched, then that's another
[0-day] story.

Steven
securityzone.org

If you're going to steal a term from the biological community at least
use in in the same context. The biological metaphor is getting
stretched so much that people forget that these terms have meaning
outside the IT realm.

--
Wayne D. Hoxsie Jr.

- Robert
http://www.cgisecurity.com/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [Full-disclosure] 0day: PDF pwns Windows
    ... no patch/update at the time of the exploit being coded/used. ... an exploit for IE right now and they don't patch it until April September ... If you're going to steal a term from the biological community at least use in in the same context. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] 0day: PDF pwns Windows
    ... an exploit for IE right now and they don't patch it until April September ... That's why the term zero day is ... and discovered vulnerabilities or proofs of concept. ...
    (Bugtraq)