Advisory : Internet Explorer Zone Domain Specification Dos and Page suppressing.

Advisory : Internet Explorer Zone Domain Specification Dos and Page
Suppressing
Severity : Intermediate
Version : IE 6.0 - 7.0
Dated : 18 June 2007

Explanation:
The vulnerability is present in handling of domain names with different
parameters [ sub domains] when specified in the Intranet zone and
Restricted zone with different characters [* ,.]. TheInternet Explorer
show weird behavior in opening of those websites. The problem occurs in
The problem occurs in resolving domain names in different zones by the
explorer. It can be launched remotely by a malicious attacker by
exploiting this vulnerable behavior through a rogue script and registry
functions. The problem persists if rogue entries or manipulated entries
are subjected into various zones.

So when a new instance of IE is loaded , the registry entries are
triggered up there by resulting in security impacts. The website page
gets suppressed. The page gets hanged for sometime , there
by showing a delay in loading of website and affects the CPU load.

Vendor Status : Reported To Microsoft Security Center.

Solution By Microsoft Security Center:
1. Avoid visiting untrusted Websites.
2. Script Restriction should be applied.

-----
Aditya K Sood
http://www.secniche.org

Relevant Pages

  • SpywareBlaster and Spybot Search & Destroy.
    ... For reasons I don't understand the original message dated 1 March 2007 together with a response from PA Bear has "disappeared" from this newsgroup. ... Scripted websites which I absolutely ... zone anymore but instead trying to open in the Internet zone. ... Spywareblaster and Spybot S&D and was pleasantly surprised that the websites ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: Where do I find option definitions for the IE7 settings & frame question?
    ... "Enable third-party browser extensions" ... "websites in less privileged web content zone can navigate into this zone" ... Is there a way to force a website using frames to show each frame ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Where do I find option definitions for the IE7 settings & frame question?
    ... "Enable third-party browser extensions" ... "websites in less privileged web content zone can navigate into this zone" ... Is there a way to force a website using frames to show each frame in ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • [Full-disclosure] Advisory : Internet Explorer Zone Domain Specification Dos and Page suppressin
    ... Internet Explorer Zone Domain Specification Dos and Page ... The vulnerability is present in handling of domain names with different ... loading of those websites there by resulting in DoS through the browser. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Blocked from accessing my account details
    ... I try to access my account details on at least two different websites and ... My "Trusted Zone" has the slider all the way down at the ... Restricted Zone is maxed at High. ... righthand corner of the screen, but when the banner of their home page ...
    (microsoft.public.access.security)