Security bypass vulnerability in LedgerSMB and SQL-Ledger (fixes released today)

Hi all;

George Theall of Tenable Security notified the LedgerSMB core team today of an authentication bypass vulnerability allowing full access to the administrator interface of LedgerSMB 1.1 and SQL-Ledger 2.x. The problem is caused by the password checking routine failing to enforce a password check under certain circumstances. The user can then create accounts or effect denial of service attacks.

This is not related to any previous CVE.

We have coordinated with the SQL-Ledger vendor and today both of us released security patches correcting the problem. SQL-Ledger users who can upgrade to 2.6.26 should do so, and LedgerSMB 1.1 or 1.0 users should upgrade to 1.1.9. Users who cannot upgrade should configure their web servers to use http authentication for the admin.pl script in the main root directory.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
begin:vcard
fn:Chris Travers
n:Travers;Chris
email;internet:chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel;work:509-888-0220
tel;cell:509-630-7794
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
end:vcard

Relevant Pages

  • Full disclosure: Directory Transversal and Arbitrary Code Execution Vulnerability in SQL-Ledger
    ... Another security issue has been found in LedgerSMB < 1.1.5 and all versions of SQL-Ledger which allows an attacker to engage in directory transversal, retrieval of sensitive information, user account fabrication, or even arbitrary code execution. ... The stripping of such "dangerous" elements involves first stripping the $userpath and then the $memberfile and then opening the file that remains. ... You can also retrieve the memberfile by using the path of file=useuserusers/memberssrs/members. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • DoS and code execution issue in LedgerSMB < 1.1.5 and SQL-Ledger < 2.6.25
    ... A person on the LedgerSMB core team has found a serious arbitrary code execution issue in LedgerSMB prior to 1.1.5 and SQL-Ledger. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Full disclosure for SA45649, SQL Injection in LedgerSMB and SQL-Ledger
    ... LedgerSMB 1.2.24 and lower. ... Here's the write-up for SQL-Ledger 2.8.33: ... able to cause that to execute in the database in the query in RP.pm ... SELECT a.id, a.invoice, $transdate AS transdate, ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • More information on CVE-2009-3580
    ... Current versions of SQL-Ledger and LedgerSMB have a session time out ... The session timeout value provides a window during which XSRF attacks ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • ACLS ineffective in SQL-Ledger and LedgerSMB
    ... LedgerSMB is also affected but the problem has been mentioned in our documentation since the fork. ... Ordinarily I would not make a big deal out of this (since we are already clear about why we suggest using db accounts for security), but I feel that DWS is misrepresenting the security of SQL-Ledger and I think people need to be aware of the risk. ... The access control lists associated with users in SQL-Ledger and LedgerSMB do nothing more than enable or disable menu items. ...
    (Bugtraq)