Hawking Technology wireless router WR254-CA DNS issue

Hi,

I have discovered a security issue with Hawking Technology wireless
router, model WR254-CA. Since they are still available on the market
so I think it will be good to warn the community.

This router contains a DNS address 139.175.55.244 hardcoded in the
firmware. At least when used in DHCP mode, the set of DNS IP addresses
coming from the ISP does NOT override this hardcoded IP address. The
router takes only first real DNS IP address and puts it to the second
place on its list. Because of this, the hardcoded address is used
first when you try to resolve a hostname through the router (it sends
its own IP address over DHCP to the machines in the local network so
it is typical case).

I have discovered that a similar issue has been reported against Zyxel
P2000W VoIP phone by Shawn Merdinger some time ago - it was exactly
the same hardcoded IP address.

I have attempted to contact Hawking Tech technical support but after
exchanging a couple of emails (they could not understand why do I
consider this a problem) they have stopped answering. Finally, I have
got the answer that "I think it is hard coded inside the router, in
case no DNS server obtain by the DHCP, you still can browse the
internet.".

I would suggest to stay away from this product, check other similar
products from this company and use static DNS configuration if you
actually have this router.

In addition to the danger of having an untrusted DNS server used
without your explicit permission, there is something strange happening
with this DNS server (dns.seed.net.tw). Sometimes I see that some
well-known host names get resolved into wrong IP addresses (about 2-3
weeks ago they had troubles with *.google.com). It may be just a bug
or an attempt to do something more interesting. Anyway, it is a
separate problem.

--
Nikolai Grigoriev
(514) 909-7846

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Satellite Branch Office Woes
    ... This may or may not help, but some services require the Cisco router to use ... certain traffic (especially RPCs, DNS, and other things the DCs need)? ... DNS Server which can resolve all of the AD records. ...
  • Re: Internet access problem caused by DNS failure
    ... I'm just using a drattek router with a separate switch ... Have you made sure that you have the newest NIC drivers on your SBS? ... When the DNS stops working, ... Nothing stands out for the dns server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Adding a router to Windows SBS 2000 for web browsing only
    ... >> Internet access so none was set up. ... >> The ISDN router has now been removed from the network. ... >> From what I have seen and read so far, this would seem to be a DNS ... >> the router to the ISP dns server and get the resolution from there. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Computer will not find DNS automatically...
    ... Kerry Brown wrote: ... When you have the connection set for automatic DNS does ipconfig /all give you the same DNS server as the one your ISP told you to enter manually? ... The DNS, Gateway, and DHCP should all be the address of your router. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Cannot Surf Internet, but I can Ping
    ... >> until I had the epiphany that my problem was possibly with the DNS ... I manually populated the DNS server entries in my router ... >> (using the very same DNS server IPs that it reported in its Router ... I have an ADSL modem set to bridge mode. ...
    (Ubuntu)