Vendor URL: http://www.ibm.com/
Author: David Litchfield [ davidl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ]
Date of Public Advisory: 2nd August 2006
Advisory number: #NISR02082006I
CVEID: http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2006-3859
Advisory URL: http://www.ngssoftware.com/research/

Description
***********
Informix Dynamic Server is a database developed by IBM. During a security assessment of Informix multiple file creation/write/read issues were discovered.

Details
*******
The LOTOFILE function and rlt_tracefile_set functions can be used to create and write to files. The SET DEBUG FILE can also be used to create and write to files.

Fix Information
***************
IBM was alerted to this flaw on the 6th January 2005. Patches have now been made available; further a workaround is to revoke public execute permission of the functions involved. There is no workaround for the set debug file.

NGSSQuirreL for Informix, an advanced vulnerability assessment scanner designed specifically for Informix, can be used to accurately determine whether your servers are vulnerable to this flaw. More information about NGSSQuirreL for Informix can be found here http://www.ngssoftware.com/products/database-security/ngs-squirrel-informix.php

About NGSSoftware
*****************

NGSSoftware develops vulnerability assessment and compliancy tools for database servers including Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, DB2, Sybase and Informix. Headquartered in the United Kingdom NGS has offices in London, St. Andrews (UK), Sydney, Brisbane, and Perth (Australia) and Texas in the United States; NGSConsulting provide services to some of the largest and most demanding organizations around the globe.

http://www.ngssoftware.com/

Telephone +44 208 401 0070
Fax +44 208 401 0076

enquiries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Relevant Pages

  • Informix Long Username Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
    ... NGSSoftware Insight Security Research Advisory ... Informix Long Username Buffer Overflow Vulnerability ... During a security assessment of the database it was found to be vulnerable to a stack based buffer overflow in the authentication procedure. ... NGSSQuirreL for Informix, an advanced vulnerability assessment scanner designed specifically for Informix, can be used to accurately determine whether your servers are vulnerable to this flaw. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Error logging buffer overflow in Informix
    ... NGSSoftware Insight Security Research Advisory ... Informix Dynamic Server is a database developed by IBM. ... When IBM released a patch for the overly long username buffer overflow it was discovered that the patch introduced a new buffer overflow vulnerability. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Arbitrary Library Loading in Informix
    ... NGSSoftware Insight Security Research Advisory ... Arbitrary Library Loading in Informix ... An attacker can force to the database server to load an arbitrary library and thus execute arbitrary code. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • SQLIDEBUG envariable overflow on Informix
    ... NGSSoftware Insight Security Research Advisory ... Informix Dynamic Server is a database developed by IBM. ... During a security assessment of Informix it was discovered that an overflow could be triggered in a shared library with the SQLIDEBUG environment variable. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • RE: Announcing: The IBM Customer Advisory Council for Informix
    ... Council agonizing and fighting for its last breath... ... ....and in the blue corner we have the new, upstart IBM Advisory Council ... Sign me up for the IBM Council, I promise I'll bury my PeopleSoft axe. ... Subject: Announcing: The IBM Customer Advisory Council for Informix ...
    (comp.databases.informix)