SquirrelMail 1.4.8 released - fixes variable overwriting attack
- From: Thijs Kinkhorst <kink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:26:09 +0200
Today SquirrelMail version 1.4.8 has been released with a collection of
bugfixes and an important security fix. It was possible for an
authenticated user to overwrite random variables in the compose.php
script. This may open up possible attack vectors like reading or
overwriting a user's preference file or attachments.
We advise all current SquirrelMail users to upgrade. There's also a
patch available against 1.4.7. The interesting thing is that the
function that contained the flaw was actually broken. The function is
used to resume a compose session of a user that is confronted with a
session timeout after composing a long mail. We've got two patches
available: a minimal one which just removes the code, since it was
broken anyway, and a full version that repairs the functionality and
closes the hole.
SquirrelMail can be downloaded here:
The patches can be found here:
They also apply against the current development version.
We'd like to thank James Bercegay of GulfTech Security Research for
finding this issue and reporting it to us.
on behalf of the SquirrelMail team
Description: This is a digitally signed message part
- Prev by Date: Nokia Browser Crash
- Next by Date: Re: [SM-ANNOUNCE] SquirrelMail 1.4.8 released - fixes variable overwriting attack
- Previous by thread: Nokia Browser Crash
- Next by thread: Re: [SM-ANNOUNCE] SquirrelMail 1.4.8 released - fixes variable overwriting attack