- From: "Justin M. Forbes" <jmforbes@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:39:59 -0400
rPath Security Advisory: 2006-0130-1
Products: rPath Linux 1
Exposure Level Classification:
Local Root Deterministic Privilege Escalation
In previous versions of the kernel package, a local root privilege
escalation and a separate denial of service vulnerability are known
The local root privilege escalation allows any local user to use
the /proc/self/environ file to reliably subvert the root user.
The local root privilege escalation has a known and publically
available exploit in current active use.
The denial of service applies if the ftdi_sio module that drives
a usb-serial hardware device is loaded, in which case any user
allowed to access the device can consume all the memory on the
system by producing data faster than the device can consume it,
either as an intentional attack or unintentionally, leading to a
denial of service.
A system reboot is required to resolve these vulnerabilities.
rPath recommends that you update your systems immediately.
- Prev by Date: RE: Bybass HTTP ( extension files ) in ISA 2004
- Next by Date: [EEYEB-20060227] D-Link Router UPNP Stack Overflow
- Previous by thread: [SECURITY] [DSA 1109-1] New rssh packages fix privilege escalation
- Next by thread: [EEYEB-20060227] D-Link Router UPNP Stack Overflow