Re: [Full-disclosure] Microsoft DNS resolver: deliberately sabotaged hosts-file lookup

On 14/04/06, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH <allbery@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Apr 13, 2006, at 1:29 , Dave Korn wrote:

Hey, guess what I just found out: Microsoft have deliberately
their DNS client's hosts table lookup functionality.

I thought this was part of avoiding malware attempts to block Windows

In that case, they should allow us to add symantec et al - it's not
much use having Windows Update working while the machine is happily
rootkitted. Grepping hosts files across campus for ... - or your local equivalent - can prove

If it was a feature, I'd expect there to be ways to add to the list of
pass-through domains, or ways to disable it.

Jamie Riden / jamesr@xxxxxxxxxx / jamie.riden@xxxxxxxxxxxx
"Microsoft: Bringing the world to your desktop - and your desktop to
the world." -- Peter Gutmann

Relevant Pages