Re: Multiple Vendor Anti-Virus Software Detection Evasion Vulnerability through

From: Andrey Bayora (andrey_at_securityelf.org)
Date: 10/28/05

    To: <mgotts@2roads.com>
    Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 19:41:14 +0200

    Hello Mark,

    > vulnerability is limited in our products to one specific type of potential
    > virus file
    It is .bat files (if I remember).

    >which is not commonly allowed in most IT systems
    Yes, I think organizations must implement good e-mail policy that blocks all
    executable file types (or allow some file types that needed for business and
    block the rest).

    >and needs to be executed manually
    Maybe it is not always true if some virus drops locally .bat file and then
    executes it.

    I did not check this issue with the current definitions and updates, but
    important point is that I used .bat, .html and .eml file types with the
    magic byte of .exe file - I believe that such vulnerability can be
    implemented with other file types and possibly with other magic byte. The
    vendors must patch the LOGIC (algorithm) of the scanning to address this
    issue.

    Best regards,
    Andrey Bayora.