Re: Mozilla Thunderbird SMTP down-negotiation weakness

From: Bob Beck (beck_at_bofh.cns.ualberta.ca)
Date: 10/26/05

    Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:09:51 -0600
    To: Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>

    > The "TLS, if available" option is common to most MUAs and is a serious
    > security problem.

            As is every other mainstream application of TLS/SSL I've ever seen
    coded into a mainstream application. Don't just pick on Thunderbird
    for it - applications using TLS/SSL typically make MITM easy by design,
    rather than difficult.

            Sit you your faviorite wireless network and MITM your faviorite ssl
    web sites off it. If your user population is very intelligent, maybe
    only 9 out of 10 will click the "Windows is annoying me with a box and
    an OK button - I will click OK to keep going" popup and ignore the
    certificate mismatch utterly. Otherwise the only hard part will be
    finding a user that doesn't ignore the mismatch - it's so easy to
    get passwords this way it isn't even sporting. It's like whacking baby
    seals with a stick.

            SSL/TLS applications are just the latest most fertile ground where
    software designers have put in a crutches for lazy stupid people thereby
    rendering something kinda ok into something mostly useless.

            -Bob

    --
    Bob Beck                                   			     AICT
    beck@bofh.ucs.ualberta.ca                           University of Alberta