RE: [Full-disclosure] FireFox Host: Buffer Overflow is not justexploitable on FireFox

From: Peter Kruse (kruse_at_krusesecurity.dk)
Date: 09/14/05

    To: "'Juha-Matti Laurio'" <juha-matti.laurio@netti.fi>
    Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:42:05 +0200

    Hi Juha!

    > I have informed the vendor Netscape being affected on 9th
    > September 2005.

    I did the same on the 10th of September - still no reply nor official
    statement from Netscape which makes me a little worried.

    > 2)
    > Disabling IDN support via about:config (or prefs.js file) is
    > possible in Netscape Browser 8 too. Xpi file for Firefox and
    > Mozilla Suite works in Netscape 8.0.3.3 too. Test was
    > successful and even UA was changed to include
    > ....Gecko/20050729 (No IDN) Netscape/8.0.3.3.
    > However, the manual method is recommended.
    > I.e. there is a workaround for Netscape. Vendor developer
    > team contacted during a weekend, no reply yet.

    Correct. I reported that workaround on the 10th of September.

    I did so using both the security address at netscape.com and the "submission
    form" on Netscape's official webpage. I never got any reply/respons from
    netscape.

    Netscape uses the same rendering engine as Firefox (unless explicitly told
    to use IE) and as such, will also be vulnerable. The workaround, covered by
    the Mozilla Team, will correct the problem simply by disabling IDN.

    Regards
    Peter Kruse