Re: Dangers of discarding duplicated messages

From: Gene Rackow (rackow_at_mcs.anl.gov)
Date: 02/18/05

    To: Maciej Soltysiak <maciej@soltysiak.com>
    Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:57:55 -0600

    There are lots of other things that may need to be done to handle
    dealing with duplicated message-id's as well. Note that the RFC's
    mandate that the message-id is unique per message.

    A number of IMAP packages use the message-id as a way of keeping
    track of the message in the various folders.
    Having messages with the message-id breaks the standards, may
    cause problems in message handling, etc.

    The problem is bigger than just the anti-spam packages out there.

    From the original message it was indicated that these many dups
    might be picked up by the AV/AS software on the server. If it is,
    the blocking of the message should happen before the message-id
    gets entered into the users cache of delivered messages. Therefore
    the 1st non-spam message should still be able to get through to the
    end user.

    -_Gene

    Maciej Soltysiak made the following keystrokes:
    >Hello Adrian,
    >
    >Thursday, February 17, 2005, 7:57:01 PM, you wrote:
    >
    >> It seems to be required that programs that automatically discard
    >> duplicate messages have to use a checksum over the body and part of the
    >> header of the emails instead of relying on the message ID.
    >Very interesting indeed Adrian.
    >So to sum it all up just for now, the advisories are two.
    >One for users, one for developers of MUAs.
    >
    >Users: Beware of the fact that automatic discarding of duplicated messages
    > may result in you not getting the original mail in case someone exploi
    > ts
    > the effect Adrian depicted.
    >
    >Developers: Consider using checksum of the email messages, not only the
    > Message-ID to distinguish between duplicated messages.
    >
    >Am I correct?
    >
    >Fortunately I was never using this MUA feature - I just take care of the
    >duppies manually, which is not a big chore for me I must say.
    >

    >--
    >Best regards,
    >Maciej Soltysiak

    • Re: duplicate emails appear after importing
      ... when i say that it continues to import "duplicate ... i am lost, but, would be remiss if i didn't offer my ...
      (microsoft.public.outlook)
    • OE 6 is not supported By Microsoft
      ... email messages coming into "Inbox"OE6 could be duplicated as well ... drive along with other applications, duplicate folder ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • eliminating duplicate email messages
      ... I have duplicate & triplicate copies of email messages (some but not all ... messages)coming into my Inbox in MS Office 2003. ...
      (microsoft.public.outlook.general)
    • Windows XP and OE6
      ... email messages coming into "Inbox"OE6 could be duplicated as well ... drive along with other applications, duplicate folder ... drive in backup and restoring OS quite a lot is lost. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)