malware effecting broadband users in Israel

From: Gadi Evron (gadi_at_tehila.gov.il)
Date: 12/22/04

    Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:19:27 +0200
    To: bugtraq@securityfocus.com

    I got reports from several fellow ISP's here in Israel about this
    happening, originally on an Israeli ISP's security information sharing list.

    The dialer configuration is being modified, from "advanced" to "Basic",
    a random host and the user name are changed to <random number>username
    and some say it also effects the Local Connection settings.
    The users see error numbers; 734 ,769, 789 or 800.

    Rumors have it, this thing is from Kazaa.

    Rumored process names from an online paper article, are:
    chksp2.exe, sp2ctr.exe and glwgmgeb.exe.

    Also from that article, this link has been provided, although it's
    relevance isn't clear:
    http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojdlucam.html

    I haven't yet got my hands on a sample to study this further.

    --
    Gadi Evron,
    Information Security Manager, Project Tehila -