malware effecting broadband users in Israel

From: Gadi Evron (gadi_at_tehila.gov.il)
Date: 12/22/04

    Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:19:27 +0200
    To: bugtraq@securityfocus.com

    I got reports from several fellow ISP's here in Israel about this
    happening, originally on an Israeli ISP's security information sharing list.

    The dialer configuration is being modified, from "advanced" to "Basic",
    a random host and the user name are changed to <random number>username
    and some say it also effects the Local Connection settings.
    The users see error numbers; 734 ,769, 789 or 800.

    Rumors have it, this thing is from Kazaa.

    Rumored process names from an online paper article, are:
    chksp2.exe, sp2ctr.exe and glwgmgeb.exe.

    Also from that article, this link has been provided, although it's
    relevance isn't clear:
    http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojdlucam.html

    I haven't yet got my hands on a sample to study this further.

    --
    Gadi Evron,
    Information Security Manager, Project Tehila -

    • Re: El Al sued for racial profiling
      ... York acting suspicious. ... Two Palestinian citizens of Israel have won $8,000 in damages from ... by the company's security staff at a New York airport had been "abusive ...
      (soc.culture.palestine)
    • Re: El Al sued for racial profiling
      ... Two Palestinian citizens of Israel have won $8,000 in damages from ... by the company's security staff at a New York airport had been "abusive ... embarrassed into stopping its policy of discriminating against its Arab ...
      (soc.culture.palestine)
    • nbc Obama, Israel and Iran nbc
      ... his to guarantee the security of Israel. ... care about peace in this world; who care about a strong and lasting ... friendship between Israel and the United States, ...
      (rec.music.artists.springsteen)
    • Gideon Levy - Israels security measures - Dont make me laugh. - Haaretz
      ... Israel's security measures? ... Israel news Shin Bet Spain Jerusalem Ben Gurion airport ... Who says Jewish humor has disappeared from Israel? ... A Spanish clown - it sounds like the start of a joke - lands in Israel. ...
      (soc.culture.israel)
    • More Shame for my country.
      ... When I worked in Israel, despite the wonderful things about the place, ... The obtuse security on El Al, and the aloof attitude by Isarelis ... four that was accidentally hit with a missle aimed at a Hamas leader? ... Terrorists (Palestinians) and Soldiers. ...
      (rec.outdoors.fishing.fly)