Re: *nix data wipe tools

From: George Georgalis (george_at_galis.org)
Date: 12/17/04

    Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 11:48:33 -0500
    To: David Cannings <lists@edeca.net>, "Thomas C. Greene" <thomas.greene@theregister.co.uk>

    On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 08:06:07PM +0000, David Cannings wrote:
    >Thomas C. Greene wrote:
    >> I've posted the final versions of a few simple, free shell scripts that i've
    >> been working on to make data hygiene more convenient on *nix systems. Thanks
    >> to list members who helped test them and contributed improvements.
    >
    >Is there any specific advantage of these scripts over bcwipe?

    The introduction indicates it does swap and unused disk space.

    http://basicsec.org/tools.html
    Linux Wipe Tools: Four shell scripts for securely wiping all data from
    the swap partition, wiping unused disk space on the root partition, or
    wiping an entire disk, by Thomas C. Greene.

    http://www.jetico.com/index.htm#/bcwipe_unix.htm
    The BCWipe software is intended to give you a confidence that your
    deleted files cannot be recovered by an intruder. BCWipe repeatedly
    overwrites special patterns to the files to be destroyed.

    // George

    --
    George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
    http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@galis.org