Re: Changes to the filesystem while find is running - comments?

Casper.Dik_at_Sun.COM
Date: 11/24/04

    To: Martin.Buchholz@Sun.COM
    Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:29:08 +0100

    >I am genuinely surprised that Solaris still has such a
    >relatively small PATH_MAX. Linux has 4096.

    Really, there are things you cannot change because of
    binary compatibility. PATH_MAX is one.

    Having a 4K path seems rather pointless; the longest path on my
    system is 225 bytes; a factor of 4 over that borders on the ridiculous.

    >Like other arbitrary system limits of its ilk, PATH_MAX
    >is evil, and is one of the more persuasive arguments for
    >getting rid of the C language and its fixed-size
    >stack-allocated buffers.
    >

    >char path[PATH_MAX]; /* considered harmful */

    Evil, yes, but old source code never dies.

    Casper

    • Re: The nature of evil
      ... It might be useless if I were trying to tell you what evil ... their will to accept whatever reality they want to create. ... There is an absolute limit to ... up being pointless you'd rather be chooser of the pointless ...
      (soc.religion.quaker)
    • Re: EWeek Article - Microsoft is now at war with Linux directly
      ... Linux as a corporate threat. ... Read this article and see what the evil ... Empire is on the move. ... tossed aside in Bill's insatiable drive to dominate the digital ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: Youll never guess what HP advertised
      ... Dr. Evil is a character from the Austin Powers´ films. ... Linux is not ready for the high availability ... >> Would you like to know about the cancelled IBM product lines ?? ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: Selling Linux to Windows Users
      ... KDE's accessibility features were abandoned in KDE 4. ... what CAD software is available for Linux? ... I know what windows is. ... I personally think MS is on the more evil side of life. ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: Windows 7s Deadly Sins
      ... I like Linux, but it comes with quite a few eccentricities. ... Windows except for gaming and will meet most people's needs. ... Better is an opinion, not a fact. ... But I don't agree with people like you whom think Windows is evil. ...