Re: Changes to the filesystem while find is running - comments?

From: James Youngman (bugtraq_at_excession.spiral-arm.org)
Date: 11/23/04

    Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:59:26 +0000
    To: Paul Szabo <psz@maths.usyd.edu.au>

    On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 12:38:52PM +1100, Paul Szabo wrote:

    > [ James wrote ]

    > > This algorithm is certainly robust, but it will never descend into an
    > > automount directory hierarchy. Do you think we can do better than
    > > that without opening the door to more exploits?
    >
    > Hmm... It would not descend into just-now-changed automounts (and it may
    > not be able to get back out of them), but it should be able to traverse
    > reasonably long-lived mounts.

    The problem is though that when you chdir() into an automount mount
    point, automount aill automatically mount it for you. Hence if an
    automount filesystem wasn't already mounted, if you chdir() into it it
    immediately becomes a "just-now-changed" mount point. That's the
    essensce of the problem I am trying to solve.

    Regards,
    James

    • Re: NFS client , automount and protection problem
      ... Since you're having problems with non-root automount, ... This creates the "disk2" alias in the root. ... WORKS PERFECTLY (aka lists the files on the remote server). ... bother asking the remote server to mount it. ...
      (comp.sys.mac.system)
    • Re: Changes to the filesystem while find is running - comments?
      ... automount aill automatically mount it for you. ... > automount filesystem wasn't already mounted, if you chdir() into it it ... It is OK to traverse if it was mounted to start with; ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • Re: Managing /service for SMP/E
      ... the same name in the mount point and the dsname. ... The problem with Automount comes when AJVSCRPT is run and it expects ... the J1.4 directory that is in the root of the Java HFS to be located ... For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, ...
      (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
    • Re: Duplicate/False Mount Points
      ... DMA3 isn't really mounted it was a disk I out as automount for my old ... If you type the "mount" command alone, you get the true list of what the ... map auto_home on /home (autofs, ...
      (comp.sys.mac.system)
    • Re: Fixing an iPod mount point - udev or hal?
      ... been reading the hal docs but I've been distracted recently by planning ... hal can watch for new udev-created mount points and automount the ... I don't want automount, I just want to fix the mount point for a (filesystem ... don't see why automount should imply autounmount but then again I don't want ...
      (uk.comp.os.linux)