Re: International DNS compromise?

From: Danny (nocmonkey_at_gmail.com)
Date: 08/06/04

    Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 15:12:17 -0400
    To: "Troy K." <tjk@tksoft.com>

    On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 10:49:39 -0700 (PDT), Troy <tjk@tksoft.com> wrote:
    > It's probably the ISP you are using.
    > They are intercepting DNS requests and returning their
    > own replies. It could be something malicious, but it could
    > just as well be the ISP saving bandwidth by caching DNS queries.

    I have never heard of an ISP which does not cache (Bind does by
    default) DNS queries. If they did not, their DNS servers would be
    constantly hitting the root servers, which would be horribly
    inconsiderate.

    > If they cache DNS queries they probably cache www queries as
    > well.

    See my last comment.

    ...D

    • RE: IE 6 will not load--"Can not findserver"
      ... The settings are set to get these addresses from the ISP. ... Domain Name Server (DNS) Address ... Use These DNS Servers ... >> operable program or batch file. ...
    • Re: DNS servers
      ... These are the DNS servers you get from the ISP that provides your Internet ... You don't need to buy DNS hosting for your SBS ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • RE: [Full-disclosure] Re: Reverse dns (whether you want it or not)
      ... I would ask your ISP to give reverse domain delagation to your DNS servers. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: Exchange - multiple relay?
      ... I want to change the way I send mail from a forward to ISP to DNS. ... Your firewall does not need to be listening for an incoming port 25 connection for outgoing mail. ... keeping your exchange box inaccessible from the ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: DNS Error
      ... reconnecting to our ISP. ... >Ask your isp what their current working dns servers are ... >them in you dns. ... resolves. ...
      (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)