Re: Sonicwall diag tool includes VPN credentlials

From: neil gardner (neil.gardner_at_alliedtelesyn.co.nz)
Date: 08/01/04

    Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 09:04:39 +1200
    To: <mlopez@iattc.org>, <bugtraq@securityfocus.com>

    Nope, as a Sonicwall Certified Engineer I can tell you this is basically
    wrong.

    Yes, it does save all the important keys in Plaintext, but only if you
    don't read the manual which warns about this, and only if you click ok
    on the dialog box pop-up which warns you about this when you go to do
    it.

    The legit need for this BTW is when you have to replicate a firewall
    config onto another Sonicwall box that's perhaps different architecture
    and you need a human readable copy of all the keys etc.

    Cheers- Neil Gardner

    ps. The more interesting Sonicwall issue is that if you don't change
    the default IP address of the Sonicwall (192.168.168.168) then anyone
    with access to your LAN segment can change the LAN Ip address of the
    Sonicwall using a publically available Sonicwall utility - even if the
    box has had it's username/password changed.... If I bothered to sniff
    out the transaction I would probably be able to recreate the ARP request
    that does this. I reported this in person to a Senior SOnicwall tech rep
    and he didn't think it was an issue. Go Figure.

    >>> Milton Lopez <mlopez@iattc.org> 31/07/2004 9:46:07 a.m. >>>

    Our Sonicwall Pro 300 firewall appliance includes a diagnostic tool
    called "Tech Support Report", which dumps the current configuration info
    to a plain text file. I have been asked by Sonicwall personnel to email
    this file as an attachment during several tech. support calls, without
    any additional warning or explanation. One of the items included in the
    report is a plain-text copy of the Shared Secret used for authenticating
    VPN users. Unless everything I've read about protecting this kind of
    information

    notify Allied Telesyn Research Ltd immediately.
    be the views of Allied Telesyn Research.

    • RE: Sonicwall diag tool includes VPN credentlials
      ... I have also ran into this several times with the SonicWall tech ... always advocate sending this report via email. ... > to email this file as an attachment during several tech. support ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • Sonicwall
      ... Beware if you buy a Sonicwall, ... had one die in one of our satellite offices during Christmas. ... A tech at that satellite office and I worked feverishly to ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • RE: Sonicwall diag tool includes VPN credentlials
      ... I have been asked by Sonicwall personnel ... > sending unprotected shared secrets to anyone via email is very bad ... The shared secret is not included in the standard report. ... I would not send this report by plain mail. ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • Re: SBS & SonicWall
      ... I also use the SonicWall TZ170 -- I left it running in its default state ... throughout SBS2003 installation without complications. ... If you need to contact SonicWall's tech support with any advanced questions ... > save your existing configuration, ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: cannot telnet through a VPN tunnel using Sonic Wall routers
      ... Yahoo has a "sonicwall" forum; ... you need to state what SonicWall appliances ... report as an ASCII file onto disk. ...
      (comp.unix.admin)