Re: LinkSys WRT54G administration page availble to WAN

Valdis.Kletnieks_at_vt.edu
Date: 06/01/04

    To: steffen.mueller@vision-it.de
    Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 15:09:04 -0400

    On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 16:43:05 +0200, Steffen Mueller <steffen.mueller@vision-it.de> said:

    > did you check the alternative firmwares available for the Linksys ?
    >
    > Great enhancements are available from SVEASOFT.
    >
    > http://www.sveasoft.com/modules/phpBB2/index.php

    I haven't looked, but all the same, it's probably insanely great.

    The problem is that 95% of the people that buy a Linksys couldn't figure out
    how to jump through all the hoops to install it.

    Sure, Alan can install it. And probably a few dozen others on the list will be
    motivated to do the firmware upgrade. However, if Linksys sold 5 million of
    these critters, that leaves 4,999,950 or so with lame defaults....

    Consider another example - it's *quite* possible to nail down a Windows box to
    drastically tighten the security on it. Why do we still have problems? Because
    it isn't that way "out of the box", and users can't/won't do it after unboxing
    it....