RE: After Ms patches last Wed ...

From: phaser-X (px_at_zeroday.net)
Date: 04/17/04

    Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 16:44:26 -0700 (PDT)
    To: Alun Jones <alun@texis.com>

    I couldn't do anything on the system. If I hit CTRL+ALT+DEL to get into
    the task manager, it literally took about 20 minutes. Everything was very
    unresponsive. I ended up having to use the "repair" feature off the win2k
    CD. It replaced a few files and then the system was fine until I went
    back and re-updated, then the PC crashed after about 15 minutes and upon
    reboot the system was 100% again. I repeated the "repair" option to get
    everything back to normal again. And yes, it was the "system" process
    that was 99-100%, not the system idle process.

    -pX

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Alun Jones wrote:

    > phaser-X wrote:
    > > I had a different issue after Wednesdays updates. Two win2k
    > > computers in my office were rendered useless after the patch.
    > > They were fine before, but as soon as the patch finished and
    > > the PC was rebooted, the CPU usage was 100% and nothing could
    > > be done. I left both PC's sitting for about 20 minutes and
    > > the 100% CPU usage never came down. Another coworker said he
    > > had the same issue with his home PC and he was eventually
    > > able to get into the task manager and noticed that the system
    > > process was taking up 99-100% of the CPU.
    >
    > Not that it's necessarily the case for you, but frequently patching is the
    > one time when reboots are almost bound to occur - as a result, an awful lot
    > of bugs are discovered after the patch, but not necessarily because of the
    > patch. General advice is to try uninstalling the patch and see if the
    > problem still exists, before deciding which way to debug - not very easy if
    > you have all your CPU locked up!
    >
    > As to the "system process" taking up 99-100% of the CPU, there is a "System
    > Idle Process" that is _supposed_ to do that. I hope your coworker hasn't
    > misconstrued :-)
    >
    > Try calling PSS (you know, tech support?), and see if they have any ideas.
    >
    > Alun.
    > ~~~~
    > --
    > Texas Imperial Software | Find us at http://www.wftpd.com or email
    > 1602 Harvest Moon Place | alun@texis.com.
    > Cedar Park TX 78613-1419 | WFTPD, WFTPD Pro are Windows FTP servers.
    > Fax/Voice +1(512)258-9858 | Try our NEW client software, WFTPD Explorer.

    • Re: explorer starts and stops over and over at startup
      ... security update is ultimately to blame. ... I have the patch running on my sytem just fine. ... > "Dana Brash" wrote: ... >>>> If you can bring up task manager, can you open event viewer from task ...
    • Re: Sasser Virus
      ... > erase and patch this virus, but it is not working - I am ... > still finding avserve2.exe and av.exe in my Task Manager. ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Computer Crash--Help
      ... with the latest SP and patch. ... Is there some sort of log that I can check to see what ... >task manager is up. ... >WIndows XP. ...
    • Re: windows server 2003 memory wrongly reported in system properties
      ... Yes, i have checked the task manager, it is 4GB. ... it is indicated as 3GB of memory. ... Is there a patch to rectify this? ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server)
    • Re: Explorer freezes in XP sp2. In task manager you cant end process.
      ... If you do there is a small patch on Canon's website that may fix the ... Same thing with mine and the patch fixed it instantly. ... I go to task manager try end task on the ... I look at process tab ...