With regards to the Adobe Acrobat Reader advisory (#NISR03022004)

From: NGSSoftware Insight Security Research (nisr_at_nextgenss.com)
Date: 03/10/04

    To: <bugtraq@securityfocus.com>, <NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM>, <vulnwatch@vulnwatch.org>
    Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 19:11:03 -0000

    Hello all,
    I've been inundated with e-mails asking whether operating systems other than
    Windows are affected by XFDF overflow. Whilst I did not state that Windows
    is the only OS affected, and I should have done, I thought it was clear,
    incorrectly, that Adobe Acrobat Reader for Windows was indeed the only one
    and not Mac, *nix, etc.

    From the original advisory:

    When the xfdf file is parsed an unsafe call to sprintf is made in
    preparation for outputting a debug message using OutputDebugString.

    OutputDebugString is a Win32 API function, exported by kernel32.dll.
    Conseqently, the vulnerable code path will exist only in the Windows version
    of Adobe Acrobat Reader.

    I hope this clears up any confusion.

    Cheers,
    David Litchfield