Re: Round One: "DLL Proxy" Attack Easily Hijacks SSL from Internet Explorer

carlo_at_cs.dartmouth.edu
Date: 02/13/04

    Date: 13 Feb 2004 16:10:46 -0000
    To: bugtraq@securityfocus.com

    ('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) In-Reply-To: <DHELIJMHOLKLHKFHGGGLIEDHCAAA.disclosure@ossecurity.ca>

    It's nice to see this getting some attention. We've been working on some exploits in this area for the last year, and actually have been able to use and/or steal a user's private key from the CSP that IE uses.

    We used DLL injection for our attacks; we didn't know about dll proxies.

    We put out a Technical Report about this in February of last year, and our paper appeared at the "2nd Annual PKI Research Workshop" at NIST in April 2003. The latest version can be found here:

    http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~carlo/research/tr2004-489.pdf

    It's a fun read.

    John