Re: Major hack attack on the U.S. Senate

From: Dinesh Nair (dinesh_at_alphaque.com)
Date: 01/24/04

    Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 03:11:47 +0800 (MYT)
    To: Daniel.Capo@tco.net.br

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 Daniel.Capo@tco.net.br wrote:

    > AFAIK, "hacking" is legally defined in the USA as being unauthorized
    > access to computer resources. It doesn't matter if the resource was
    > adequately protected (or protected at all) in first place or not. If you
    > were not given permission to make use of that resource, you are
    > criminally liable.

    which begs the question, unless it was explicitly labelled as such, how
    would the accessor know that he was committing unauthorized access ?

    this is quite similar to sites say, accidentally exporting windows or nfs
    shares out to the internet. a query of the server will return a mount
    request legitimate.

    Regards, /\_/\ "All dogs go to heaven."
    dinesh@alphaque.com (0 0) http://www.alphaque.com/
    | for a in past present future; do |
    | for b in clients employers associates relatives neighbours pets; do |
    | echo "The opinions here in no way reflect the opinions of my $a $b." |
    | done; done |

    • Theory of Space cannot afford Time.
      ... physical matter, in the universe for which to keep a record of time. ... Postulate 1. ... The Inevitable Lack of Resource. ... if we continue to record time for eternity; ...
      (sci.physics.relativity)
    • Re: Flatlanders, Boxlander and Timelanders.
      ... physical matter, in the universe for which to keep a record of time. ... Y's Law ... The Inevitable Lack of Resource. ... along the line before eternity, we would have expended all resources. ...
      (sci.physics.relativity)
    • Re: 13 countries that pay higher mfg. salaries than the US
      ... That's a surplus of labor. ... it doesn't matter either way. ... Any resource is employed as a necessary evil. ...
      (rec.crafts.metalworking)
    • Re: Overtime
      ... Andrea ... > resource and say "Task X next week is supposed to take all week finishing ... > Friday but we behind schedule and really need to get it done by Thursday. ... Does it really matter if Joe does 4 hours OT ...
      (microsoft.public.project)
    • Re: Why not develop new language
      ... developers) have another construct, which is "try finally ". ... is that no matter what else takes place, no matter whether it's a return ... Resource* pRes = new Resource; ...
      (comp.lang.cpp)