Re: Major hack attack on the U.S. Senate

From: Dinesh Nair (dinesh_at_alphaque.com)
Date: 01/24/04

    Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 03:11:47 +0800 (MYT)
    To: Daniel.Capo@tco.net.br

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 Daniel.Capo@tco.net.br wrote:

    > AFAIK, "hacking" is legally defined in the USA as being unauthorized
    > access to computer resources. It doesn't matter if the resource was
    > adequately protected (or protected at all) in first place or not. If you
    > were not given permission to make use of that resource, you are
    > criminally liable.

    which begs the question, unless it was explicitly labelled as such, how
    would the accessor know that he was committing unauthorized access ?

    this is quite similar to sites say, accidentally exporting windows or nfs
    shares out to the internet. a query of the server will return a mount
    request legitimate.

    Regards, /\_/\ "All dogs go to heaven."
    dinesh@alphaque.com (0 0) http://www.alphaque.com/
    | for a in past present future; do |
    | for b in clients employers associates relatives neighbours pets; do |
    | echo "The opinions here in no way reflect the opinions of my $a $b." |
    | done; done |