Re: [aadams@securityfocus.com: Linux Kernel <= 2.4.21 MXCSR Local DOS Exploitation]

From: Matt Zimmerman (mdz_at_debian.org)
Date: 11/24/03

    Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 21:55:00 -0500
    To: bugtraq@securityfocus.com

    On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 05:10:57PM -0700, David Ahmad wrote:

    > As far as I know, this bug was not discussed or exploited anywhere
    > publicly. Also, the technique used to cause the memory copy to
    > fail is clever and may be useful in other scenarios.

    Perhaps not exploited, but it was definitely discussed.

    http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=2003-0248
    http://www.debian.org/security/2003/dsa-311
    http://www.debian.org/security/2003/dsa-332
    http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHSA-2003-187.html
    http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHSA-2003-195.html
    http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/advisories/advisory.php?name=MDKSA-2003:066
    http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/advisories/advisory.php?name=MDKSA-2003:074

    --
     - mdz

    • Re: Placing zeros in front of a number ?
      ... We are talking about a scripting language, ... But you haven't defined what the environments in question are. ... You are arguing that writing code that can fail is justified because there ... consume more memory as the intermediate values can be constructed lazily. ...
      (comp.lang.javascript)
    • Re: Errors locking offscreen surface if application heap is large
      ... whats the memory map for the machines, ... > few different memory configs, and a few different graphics card configs, and ... >> In these conditions I see calls to Lock a plain offscrreen surface fail ...
    • Re: Possible Bug in mincore or mmap
      ... kernels fail one instance of the mincore01 tests: ... to fail as it is asking for memory information 5 times what should be ... It shouldn't be a security problem if mincore doesn't actually ... it appears the mmap function is allowing read access ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: 2.2/2.4/2.6 VMs: do malloc() ever return NULL?
      ... mallocwill never fail as long as there ... > malloc() can return NULL. ... It returns NULL if it fails to allocate memory. ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: [OT]Re: malloc
      ... Since malloc fails gracefully, ... Memory allocation on FreeBSD can STILL fail: ... In addition to and above, setting option V will ...
      (comp.lang.c)