RE: Gamespy uses DMCA to destroy bug research and full disclosure

From: Ed Carp (
Date: 11/12/03

    To: "C Ryll" <>, <>, <>
    Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:19:50 -0600

    > Universal vs. Reimerdes Case Details
    > DeCSS is a program designed to circumvent CSS (Content Scramble System),
    > which is the technology that motion picture studios (I.e.,
    > Universal) place
    > on DVDs to prevent the unauthorized viewing and copying of motion
    > pictures.
    > CSS allows DVDs to be played on computers and DVD players, but does not
    > allow the copying or manipulation of a DVD's contents.
    > DeCSS decrypts the CSS protection mechanisms, thus allowing the
    > copying of a
    > DVD's contents onto a computer system for full manipulation and
    > copying of
    > the newly created (and very large) computer file. The large file can be
    > compressed using a freely available compression application
    > entitled "DivX"
    > that allows for the transfer of the compressed file back onto a DVD, or
    > across the Internet. DeCSS was marketed for the playing of DVDs
    > on multiple
    > platforms, as well as for the copying of DVDs. The writers of DeCSS claim
    > that their intention was to produce a program that allowed DVDs
    > to be played
    > on the Linux operating system (something that was not available at that
    > time).

    It is extremely important to point out that DeCSS, or any other decryption
    software, does not "permit" the copying of a protected DVD any more than the
    gas pedal on your car "permits" you to speed. DeCSS has nothing to do with
    the ability to copy a DVD, but affects the ability to view the DVD on an
    operating system other than what was originally intended.

    In fact, I can copy DVDs to my hard drive all day long, without any special
    hardware or software - all I have to do is open Windows Explorer, select the
    DVD-ROM drive, and drag-and-drop all those nice big .vob files to my hard
    drive. If I want to burn those files to another DVD, nothing prevents me
    from doing so, and certainly not CSS. I could burn 100 copies of my brand
    new Terminator 3 DVD, and CSS has nothing to do with it.

    I would think this point would be obvious, but you'd be surprised how often
    I've had to point this out to talk show hosts.

    • Re: Problems ripping DVDs I legally own to my media server
      ... He's merely copying the "scrambled" bits on the DVD to his hard-drive. ... CSS ... In order to do it legally on Linux you'll need to use "PowerDVD for Linux" as ...
      ... dvd copying software ... free dvd copying software ... copying dvd movies discs ...
      ... dvd copying software ... free dvd copying software ... copying dvd movies discs ...
    • Re: Writing to DVD+RW
      ... >>> With the 2004 UDF.IFS loaded, I tried copying folders of data from the network ... Chkdsk confirmed the file system is UDF. ... Meaning, that I can create DVD disks with DVD-R, ... I think that is a different format. ...
    • Re: [SLE] Watching DVD on SuSE 10
      ... > negotiate a contract to provide CSS on thier incuded DVD player and then ... |- convince all developers of the xine project that they change the ...