Microsoft security update broken?

From: Guy Barnum (GuyBarnum_at_Armscole.com)
Date: 09/09/03

    Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 14:32:30 -0400
    To: <BUGTRAQ@securityfocus.com>

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Thor Larholm [mailto:thor@pivx.com]
    Sent: Monday, September 08, 2003 6:15 PM
    To: Guy Barnum; BugTraq
    Subject: RE: Microsoft security update broken?
    Windows 98 no longer receive any security updates, so the behavior of
    using WindowsUpdate under Windows 98 is undefined at best.
    -----End Of Original Message-----

    I've received a lot of replies about how windows 98 is no longer supported because of the EOL cycle, however I've also received replies from Microsoft people monitoring the bugtraq forum that security updates *are* supported.

    Also, the replies I have received indicate this same problem with a security update either not installing or getting detected occurs on any windows platform related to any one of the recent security updates.

    I have an email sent in to Microsoft and I'll update the list here when I get a response.

    Guy

    • Product Support Services - SEPTEMBER 2005 MICROSOFT SECURITY RESPONSE CENTER BULLETIN RELEASE - REV
      ... Microsoft instituted a monthly security update release process on the second ... in a month where no security updates are released, as is the case for 13 ... non-security updates released on Microsoft Update, Windows Update, Windows ... Microsoft is committed to only releasing high quality updates that fix the ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: Security Updates Canceled
      ... Title: REVISED: September 2005 Microsoft Security Response Center ... Microsoft will not issue any new security updates on 13 September ... with any non-security updates released on Microsoft Update, Windows ... Windows Server Update Services and Software Update Services ...
      (microsoft.public.security.virus)
    • Re: LoadLibrary fails for Windows XP SP3
      ... newdev.dll is part of Windows itself so it is not a good solution to go replacing the canonical Microsoft-supplied file with random downloads from the web. ... Get process monitor from www.sysinternals.com (it's actually a Microsoft website). ... You might also want to add the PDB symbols for your GSIinst process to WinDBG, so that you'll get the full stack.. ... Before the security updates and IE8 update application worked fine. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Microsoft Heads for Another Big Patch Tuesday
      ... August will be another substantial patch month for Microsoft, with the vendor releasing 12 security bulletins next Tuesday to fix holes in both its Windows OS and the Office productivity suite. ... System administrators also were busy with regularly scheduled monthly patches that month as Microsoft released 12 security updates. ...
      (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
    • Re: Microsoft Heads for Another Big Patch Tuesday
      ... August will be another substantial patch month for Microsoft, with the vendor releasing 12 security bulletins next Tuesday to fix holes in both its Windows OS and the Office productivity suite. ... Ten of the August 8 patches will affect Windows, with at least one rated as a "critical" update. ... System administrators also were busy with regularly scheduled monthly patches that month as Microsoft released 12 security updates. ...
      (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)