Re: Microsoft security update broken?

From: Cody Hatch (cody_at_hatch-house.net)
Date: 09/08/03

    Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 15:27:27 -0600
    To: "Guy Barnum" <GuyBarnum@Armscole.com>, "BugTraq" <BUGTRAQ@securityfocus.com>

    > The microsoft security update for MS03-023 downloaded via the windows
    update web site appears to be broken. Either the patch does not
    properly install or is not able to be detected by the web based update
    scan after install.

    > Symptoms: running the update-scan at www.windowsupdate.com after
    having already installed the MS03-023 update will continue to indicate
    the MS03-023 patch has not yet been installed on the target system,
    under windows 98. I've rebooted and rescanned a win98 system 4 times
    and every time it comes up saying the patch has not been installed. I
    haven't tested this on other windowws platforms yet.

    > Has anyone else noticed this? Is it just my systems with the problem?
     Could the microsoft update not really be installing or maybe the update
    scan isn't looking for the correct files?

    > Guy Barnum

    I've seen the same thing. I was trying to install SP3 on a new machine,
    and both the express install, as well as the download of the entire
    install threw errors. The express install went down 3/4 of the way
    through, while the full download said it was a corrupt file.

    Other updates behaved the same way.

    Later,
    Cody

    --
    PrudentPolitics.org: Op-ed articles about government, political issues,
    and other news.

    • Re: This is Why Consoles are More Popular than PCs for Gaming
      ... Just remembering you needed that faithful floppy disk to install SATA ... > patch downloaded, well the patch took *forever* to install. ... You download patches every time? ... still have patches for games I have uninstalled on CD. ...
      (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)
    • Re: Office 2003 SP2
      ... I'm a little surpriced about reading "Now go away". ... make it possible to install. ... > download SP-2, burn it and give you a copy. ... > || explicitly inquired about someone else downloading the patch for you, ...
      (microsoft.public.officeupdate)
    • Re: Office 2003 SP2
      ... > explicitly inquired about someone else downloading the patch for you, ... My response to you indicated that this would not be legal. ... > converation about whether it is legal or not to ask someone else to download ... install the update onto my PC from that CD? ...
      (microsoft.public.officeupdate)
    • Re: Office 2003 SP2
      ... to make it possible to install. ... || download SP-2, burn it and give you a copy. ... installing the CD of the downloaded and redistributed patch to get ...
      (microsoft.public.officeupdate)
    • Re: Office 2003 SP2
      ... > | If you post it on a web site for download, ... Anyone reading the EULA would have figured it ... it to a CD and then install it on your computer. ... you explicitly inquired about someone else downloading the patch ...
      (microsoft.public.officeupdate)