Re: Buffer overflow prevention

From: Peter Busser (peter_at_trusteddebian.org)
Date: 08/15/03

    Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 11:41:18 +0200
    To: bugtraq@securityfocus.com

    Hi!

    > So the best protection is probably Propolice + non exec stack + write xor
    > executable pages. Oh, surprise, this is just how OpenBSD works.

    PaX is more strict in its W^R enforcement than OpenBSD.

    > This is still not a magical protection against everything. A vulnerable
    > application can still behave abnormally after an overflow. But this couple
    > makes injection + execution of arbitrary code way more tricky.

    Right there is no silver bullet. The only thing you can hope for is to raise
    the bar high enough that noone can jump over it.

    > The only way to sleep quietly is still to audit the code at the first place.

    The only way to sleep quietly in fact is to feed your computer to a shredder.

    Auditing code alone will not provide much security. In fact, it will lead to a
    false sense of security. The problem is that a modern UNIX system is that it
    contains millions of lines of code. Auditing this amount of code is simply
    impossible. Furthermore, auditors are humans. Humans make mistakes, not only
    when they are programmers, but also when they are auditors. So audited code
    will still contain security bugs.

    In fact, the amount of security in OpenBSD is only slightly less horrible than
    that of most *NIX operating systems (which includes Adamantix for that matter).

    Groetjes,
    Peter Busser

    --
    The Adamantix Project
    Taking trustworthy software out of the labs, and into the real world

    • Fwd: Theos presentation on exploit prevention
      ... Some interesting comments on pro-active security appeared on the daily ... depiction we keep wondering when the OpenBSD Team will eventually learn ... about the clever attacker that is exploiting more than buffer overflows. ... the kernel (and the nice bugs in it). ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • [Full-Disclosure] Fwd: Theos presentation on exploit prevention
      ... Some interesting comments on pro-active security appeared on the daily ... depiction we keep wondering when the OpenBSD Team will eventually learn ... about the clever attacker that is exploiting more than buffer overflows. ... the kernel (and the nice bugs in it). ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Fwd: Theos presentation on exploit prevention
      ... Some interesting comments on pro-active security appeared on the daily ... depiction we keep wondering when the OpenBSD Team will eventually learn ... about the clever attacker that is exploiting more than buffer overflows. ... the kernel (and the nice bugs in it). ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • [UNIX] OpenBSDs IPv6 mbufs Kernel Buffer Overflow
      ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... OpenBSD's IPv6 mbufs Kernel Buffer Overflow ... The OpenBSD kernel contains a memory corruption vulnerability in the code ... The OpenBSD team has released a "security fix" to correct the mbuf ...
      (Securiteam)
    • RE: Running renamed executables with CMD.EXE
      ... security products) is typical, then this hasn't been a problem for a while. ... branch of the attack tree. ... no reason it should be for people who start with XP. ... I'm not saying that cmd's content-inspection execution heuristics are good, ...
      (Bugtraq)