RE: RPC DCOM still vulnerable even after applying patches

From: Thor Larholm (thor_at_pivx.com)
Date: 07/29/03

    Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:45:51 -0700
    To: <rohaikaz@YAHOO.COM>

    Positively confirmed on patched Windows 2000 SP4 - did not reproduce on
    patched XP Home.

    Drag/Drop and other COM functions stop working, after a very visible
    svchost.exe crash.

    The hdmore loopback exploit is more friendly - it gave a nice DoS on all
    RPC/COM services (no drag/drop) without crashing svchost. Of course,
    this is only with the new return addresses that are not tied to any
    specific servicepack..

    Regards
    Thor Larholm
    PivX Solutions, LLC - Senior Security Researcher