Re: Siemens *35 and 45 series phones SMS Danial of Service

From: Jan Niehusmann (jan@gondor.com)
Date: 03/03/03

    Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 23:46:09 +0100
    From: Jan Niehusmann <jan@gondor.com>
    To: subj subj <r2subj3ct@dwclan.org>

    On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 01:06:43AM -0000, subj subj wrote:
    > To vulnerability are subject: All versions siemens *35 and *45.
    [...]
    > languages from the phone language selection menu, will
    > completely disable *35 series phones and result
    > in a 2 minute read delay on *45 series phones. Note that

    Please note that this vulnerability isn't as serious as you describe it.
    At least on my S45, I am able to interrupt this 2 minute delay at any
    time by pressing the 'hang up' key (but I have to press it for about half a
    second instead of just hitting it), the message can be read by using
    'edit message' instead of 'read message', and it can be deleted without
    problems.

    So while this obviously is a bug, it can hardly be called a DoS.

    Jan