Re: NFS Denial of Service advisory from Sun

From: Edsel Adap (edsel@adap.org)
Date: 10/18/02

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 08:55:11 -0400
From: Edsel Adap <edsel@adap.org>
To: m g <mg_outlaw@hotmail.com>

I tested this on my Solaris NFS server and it didn't kill lockd.

However there are many ways to DoS a Solaris NFS server.
One of them is to put a RedHat 7.3 (original kernel) on the network
as an NFS client then initiate a large read over NFS and watch the
Solaris NFS server become unresponsive to pings. As soon as you kill
the read everything goes back to normal.

--
Edsel Adap
edsel@adap.org

"Netscape is an application which grows to fill all available memory." - me