Re: Microsoft releases critical fix that breaks their own software!

From: mattmurphy@kc.rr.com
Date: 06/14/02

Date: 13 Jun 2002 22:08:47 -0000
From: <mattmurphy@kc.rr.com>
To: bugtraq@securityfocus.com

('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) In-Reply-To: <009301c2129f$58ff1f90$3701a8c0@stingray>

>What classic MS, their newest critical alert dealing with the Gopher Root
>Vulnerability discussed on Security Focus last week
>[http://online.securityfocus.com/news/464] seems to break windows media
>player.
>
>Is there any validity to this- and, does their fix work?
>
>More info on the microsoft critical alert:
>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?
url=/technet/security/
>bulletin/MS02-027.asp
>More info on the breakage: http://www.pivx.com/workaround_fail.html

Not a bit of validity to this; WMP 7.1 successfully initialized and did
not give any errors (fresh install), with the Gopher proxy set to
localhost:1. BTW I don't think it was MS that proposed the proxy
workaround, that was Online Solutions (http://www.solutions.fi/) that did
that. I sent an e-mail to PivX concerning a *multitude* of inaccuracies
and omissions from their "Gopher Smoker" workaround. No response from
PivX on that. I will have to investigate this, but doesn't installing
such a fix like "Gopher Smoker" invalidate support contracts?

Relevant Pages

  • Gopher NG III - Smart server
    ... The new gopher I think needs to support a new paradigm. ... by the server and injected into code. ... Any unique items should be explicitly promoted. ...
    (comp.infosystems.gopher)
  • Gopher and Mozilla 1.9.3/Firefox 4.0
    ... built-in part of Firefox 4.0 when it emerges, ... years ago but community response kept support there until the new network ... gopher to remain in core, even if it were ported (I did some initial work ... on this in bug 562320). ...
    (comp.infosystems.gopher)
  • Re: Iceweasel 3 and gopher?
    ... for support of the gopher protocol in Iceweasel 3? ... Debian's Iceweasel is simply a rebranded Firefox. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Iceweasel 3 and gopher?
    ... for support of the gopher protocol in Iceweasel 3? ... Debian's Iceweasel is simply a rebranded Firefox. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • lots more Overbite! -- for SeaMonkey and Chrome
    ... There are now more Overbite clients available to get Gopher in more places. ... version of OverbiteFF fixes that *and* adds support for SeaMonkey ... Floodgap Public Gopher Proxy ...
    (comp.infosystems.gopher)