Re: Why is Microsoft watching us watch DVD movies?

From: Konrad Rieck (kr@roqe.org)
Date: 02/22/02

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 16:26:50 +0100
From: Konrad Rieck <kr@roqe.org>
To: bugtraq@securityfocus.com

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 11:42:13AM +0100, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
> > and a cookie which uniquely identifies a particular WMP player. With
> > this two pieces of information Microsoft can track what DVD movies are
> > being watched on a particular computer.
>
> _This_ on the other hand is an unfriendly attack on anyones privacy.
> Does someone know if CDDB does similar things?

The Compact Disc Database (CDDB) protocol is used to query the database at
cddb.com (http://www.gracenote.com) for information on audio tracks, but it
is software independent and several different players and libraries make use
of CDDB.

A query includes the following components related to privacy

    hostname
    login
    libname # Name of the player or library
    libver # Version of the player or library
    cddbmail # cddb-test@submit.cddb.com

See the perl package CDDB-1.08 for more information at
http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local/authors/id/R/RC/RCAPUTO/CDDB

In my opinion the above information are not sufficient to generate profiles
about individuals, although they allow the generation of general statistics.
But this is rather normal for a database service. ;)

Regards,
Konrad

--
Konrad Rieck <kr@roqe.org> -------------- http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/~rieck
# Roqefellaz, http://www.roqe.org - PGP Key, http://www.roqe.org/keys/kr.pub

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Why is Microsoft watching us watch DVD movies?
    ... although they allow the generation of general statistics. ... > It is not normal in this case, because the database is certainly *not* ... CDDB is a Compact Disc Database and has nothing to do with DVDs, ... Microsoft and the Windows MediaPlayer for XP. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: Database for winamp (player) queries
    ... >> queries an online database to retrieve the song title/authors. ... > I was under the assumption that all such media players accessed CDDB ... Most media player programs that I have ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: Important to split an Access database into > 1 table? necessa
    ... Jeff referenced "normalization", which is the key to answering your question. ... normalization involves building your database to a specific ... but you would need to add the team name to each player. ...
  • Re: Crypt-Based Infernal Fix?
    ... well, actually, we are running a Risk league as well, and those results are in the database too. ... it's a fairly simple template we fill in with a pen at the end of each game. ... Decks played twice in last 6 months, ... and then for the group as a whole, we run rankings, and a nemesis table (Number of times player A has ousted player B, minus how many times player B has ousted player A, between every possible pair of players), etc. ...
    (rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad)
  • Re: OT website database programmer needed
    ... from/to a large database, even initially the database will be GBs of data ... Twitter is being asked to hand over info on somebody who is suspected of breaking a super-secret injunction on a certain football player who probably should have known better. ... It is all a rather comic story from this end as the Twitter user cannot be named for legal reasons, ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.misc)