Re: Why is Microsoft watching us watch DVD movies?

From: Konrad Rieck (
Date: 02/22/02

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 16:26:50 +0100
From: Konrad Rieck <>

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 11:42:13AM +0100, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
> > and a cookie which uniquely identifies a particular WMP player. With
> > this two pieces of information Microsoft can track what DVD movies are
> > being watched on a particular computer.
> _This_ on the other hand is an unfriendly attack on anyones privacy.
> Does someone know if CDDB does similar things?

The Compact Disc Database (CDDB) protocol is used to query the database at ( for information on audio tracks, but it
is software independent and several different players and libraries make use
of CDDB.

A query includes the following components related to privacy

    libname # Name of the player or library
    libver # Version of the player or library
    cddbmail #

See the perl package CDDB-1.08 for more information at

In my opinion the above information are not sufficient to generate profiles
about individuals, although they allow the generation of general statistics.
But this is rather normal for a database service. ;)

Konrad Rieck <> --------------
# Roqefellaz, - PGP Key,
# ----------- Fingerprint 5803 E58E D1BF 9A29 AFCA  51B3 A725 EA18 ABA7 A6A3

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Why is Microsoft watching us watch DVD movies?
    ... although they allow the generation of general statistics. ... > It is not normal in this case, because the database is certainly *not* ... CDDB is a Compact Disc Database and has nothing to do with DVDs, ... Microsoft and the Windows MediaPlayer for XP. ...
  • Re: Database for winamp (player) queries
    ... >> queries an online database to retrieve the song title/authors. ... > I was under the assumption that all such media players accessed CDDB ... Most media player programs that I have ...
  • Re: Important to split an Access database into > 1 table? necessa
    ... Jeff referenced "normalization", which is the key to answering your question. ... normalization involves building your database to a specific ... but you would need to add the team name to each player. ...
  • Re: Crypt-Based Infernal Fix?
    ... well, actually, we are running a Risk league as well, and those results are in the database too. ... it's a fairly simple template we fill in with a pen at the end of each game. ... Decks played twice in last 6 months, ... and then for the group as a whole, we run rankings, and a nemesis table (Number of times player A has ousted player B, minus how many times player B has ousted player A, between every possible pair of players), etc. ...
  • Re: OT website database programmer needed
    ... from/to a large database, even initially the database will be GBs of data ... Twitter is being asked to hand over info on somebody who is suspected of breaking a super-secret injunction on a certain football player who probably should have known better. ... It is all a rather comic story from this end as the Twitter user cannot be named for legal reasons, ...