Re: Non existing attachments, more info

From: William D. Colburn (aka Schlake) (wcolburn@nmt.edu)
Date: 02/20/02

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:07:15 -0700
From: "William D. Colburn (aka Schlake)" <wcolburn@nmt.edu>
To: "David F. Skoll" <dfs@roaringpenguin.com>

You can't discard "bad" messages because you can't identify them. RFC
compliant messages can contain stuff that end-user software might
interpret specially. The MyParty is an example. It is a compliant
message that contains a bunch of garbage in it that no (sane) human can
read. The problem is that some end-user software is too smart for its
own good and finds content (the garbage) where none should exist and
then turns it into an "attachment".

There is no solution. You can't force companies to stop making
bugs ("innovations") in their software. You can't reasonably locate
every bug ("innovation") in every peice of software. Even if you could
locate every bug, imagine how hard it would be to write software that
contained all the known bugs in all known mail processing software
(there lots of groups that attempt this feat on a daily basis so I think
we know how hard it is).

I think we are stuck reacting proactively to discovered holes from now
until the end of time. Even if we stop using the current bad-guy (MS),
some other company would step in to add new bugs ("innovations") that
users desperately want. We will never reach a point of stability where
nothing new is ever invented.

--
William Colburn, "Sysprog" <wcolburn@nmt.edu>
Computer Center, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Just random fixes with QC reports...
    ... yours are not the only ears around. ... be degrading, and I often like to give people the benefit of doubt. ... Of course people interpret the same words differently. ... people interpret that as denigrating those who have bugs, ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: European 15m and Open championships: 1000 Km task!
    ... bug wipers are not allowed ... > the way I interpret the rules... ... In humid conditions with many bugs or in rain I experienced high minimum ... lot of bugs in the air, especially after heavy rain in summer. ...
    (rec.aviation.soaring)
  • Re: Delphi QC Top Voted
    ... Thomas Miller wrote: ... > possible bugs. ... That seems to be the way to interpret his statement. ... would require that the # of Borland employees be roughly equivalent to ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)