Re: autoresponder program could be tricked by spamers to send unsolicitedmail to victim's address (fwd)

From: Rodent of Unusual Size (Ken.Coar@Golux.Com)
Date: 02/04/02

Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 05:58:44 -0500
From: Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.Coar@Golux.Com>
To: bugtraq@securityfocus.com

History: This issue was originally reported to BUGTRAQ on
Friday 11 January 2002. I originally sent this response
four days later, on Tuesday 15 January 2002, and again on
Monday 21 January 2002, but it didn't get moderated through.
Since this was originally sent, additional fixes have been
made and the current package version is 1.15.2, not 1.15.0
as mentioned below. See the ChangeLog on the site for details.

--------------------
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> > Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:51:55 +1100
> > To: bugtraq@securityfocus.com
> > Subject: autoresponder program could be tricked by spamers to send
> > unsolicited mail to victim's address
> >
> > Autoresponder program
> > http://meepzor.com/packages/autoresponder/
> > could be tricked by spamers to send unsolicited mail to
> > victim's address if option reply with copy of original
> > message attached to response is enabled in autoresponder's
> > configuration.

I have addressed this by adding two new bits of anti-spam
functionality to the package:

1/ ability to ignore blind messages (i.e., any that don't include
   our address in the To: or Cc: line)
2/ add history tracking feature

The purpose of the first should be self-evident. The history
capability, if enabled, will record the time of the last autoresponse
to each address, and ignore future messages until a threshold number
of seconds (specified by the run-time --ignore-interval option)
have passed.

Neither of these are enabled by default, for the simple reason
that user input (email address, database location) is required.
In addition, the history function needs a CPAN module that earlier
versions of autoresponder did not. (You don't need that module
if you don't use the history capability.)

This is all in release 1.15.0, now available from
<URL:http://MeepZor.Com/packages/autoresponder/>.

An announcement to Freshmeat and the package interest list is
coming next.

Thanks for your attention and support!

--
#ken	P-)}

Ken Coar, Sanagendamgagwedweinini http://Golux.Com/coar/ Author, developer, opinionist http://Apache-Server.Com/

"Millenium hand and shrimp!"

Relevant Pages

  • Re: A piece of his mind....
    ... New Orleans, and the Mississippi Gulf Coast, a record of the effects ... I was confining the commentary to the Katrina situation. ... Brinkley is a history professor while the editors ... the Popular Mechanics article doesn't say the response was ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Re: ARod is not clutch
    ... "historical" performance and ignoring recent history makes no sense. ... whatsoever to do with Rodriguez or any other specific ballplayer. ... specifically in response to your reference to them. ... stated "I'm responding to your misuse of statistics in your response ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.ny-yankees)
  • Re: January: White Male History Month -- Today, 1800-1918
    ... that racist hackers tried to post a unmoderated response ... civilization changing inventions. ... let's have some more "White Male History Month" ... Let's talk about some of the good things White Males have done. ...
    (soc.men)
  • Re: Once again....Totally off topic.
    ... >>failures if we do and then it doesn't ultimately work out. ... >>landed you in man's history somewhere randomly, ... and that thought still lives in our subconscious to this ... > Your response is very puzzling but maybe it went over my head. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)