Re: DoS bug on Tru64

From: ellipse (elliptic@cipherpunks.com)
Date: 01/30/02

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:48:18 -0700 (MST)
From: ellipse <elliptic@cipherpunks.com>
To: bugtraq@securityfocus.com

> Today we were using nmap to scan our network and when we scanned our
> Tru64 machines, telnet and ftp froze and timed out. We could not make
> any connections to those ports and existing connections froze. New
> connections were denied for about a minute after the scan was finished.
> I've checked with Compaq and on Securityfocus and neither place has any
> knowledge of this.
[...]
> nmap -T Polite -O -p 23,139 -oM /tmp/lst 'xxx.xxx.16-44.*'

Why does this sound so familiar? Would this not be an issue with inetd?
Sounds like it ....

I believe it's why D. J. Bernstein wrote tcpserver. See:

http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp.html

Cheers,
ellipse

Relevant Pages

  • Re: DoS bug on Tru64
    ... telnet and ftp froze and timed out. ... >> any connections to those ports and existing connections froze. ... Blink 182 Fan Site - www.blink182.co.nz ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • DoS bug on Tru64
    ... Today we were using nmap to scan our network and when we scanned our ... telnet and ftp froze and timed out. ... any connections to those ports and existing connections froze. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • RE: DoS bug on Tru64
    ... > Tru64 machines, telnet and ftp froze and timed out. ... I ran nmap against one of our systems and managed to ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • RE: DoS bug on Tru64
    ... I ran the nmap command listed below against one of my 5.1 systems. ... connections, the existing connections continued to function normally (no ... telnet and ftp froze and timed out. ... Blink 182 Fan Site - www.blink182.co.nz ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: DoS bug on Tru64
    ... connections, the existing connections continued to function normally (no ... I wouldnt call this a conclusive test, but my system didnt ... telnet and ftp froze and timed out. ... Blink 182 Fan Site - www.blink182.co.nz ...
    (Bugtraq)