Re: Stunnel: Format String Bug update

From: Roman Drahtmueller (draht@suse.de)
Date: 01/08/02

Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 16:52:34 +0100 (MET)
From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht@suse.de>
To: bugtraq@securityfocus.com

> The versions listed in the original advisory were wrong.
> Stunnel versions prior to 3.15 did not contain any smtp
> client negotiation code, only server code which is not
> vulnerable. The buggy smtp, pop, and nntp client code
> wasn't added until version 3.15, not 3.3 as I originally
> reported.
>
> Versions prior to 3.15 are not vulnerable. The misdiagnosis
> was caused by an abundance of migranes, illness, and vomitting
> in my household which is luckily starting to abate.

The SuSE Linux distributions 7.2 and 7.3 as well as SLES7 have
stunnel-3.14 (unpatched). It does have protocol-dependent code, but there
are no format string bugs that are exploitable (only "unclean" lines like
fdprintf(local, "220 Go ahead", line); ).

You have to dig into it for a few minutes. The version statement does not
hold.

[...]

> Update Date: 2-Jan-2002
> Original Release Date: 22-Dec-2001