Re: INCIDENT: WebCertificate.com hacked

From: Brett Glass (brett@lariat.org)
Date: 10/11/01

Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 11:23:15 -0600
To: "Simon Gales" <simongales@home.com>, <bugtraq@securityfocus.com>
From: Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Subject: Re: INCIDENT: WebCertificate.com hacked

At 06:57 AM 10/11/2001, Simon Gales wrote:

>I received the following email this morning (appropriately cleansed):
>
>[SNIP]
>
>I've notified privacy@webcertificate.com and VISA, and am awaiting their
>response.

FYI:

The number that is claimed to be a "credit card" number in these
malicious e-mails is not one. It's the serial number of a
"Webcertificate." There is therefore no reason to notify your
credit card issuer. The vendor knows which numbers were
compromised and has invalidated them already, so there is no
risk of theft. Users will receive new certificate numbers and
will not lose credt from their accounts.

--Brett

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Al Gores Doomsday Clock
    ... is always changing..what is the best temperature after all? ... Too stupid to merit a response. ... credit card to credit card. ...
    (rec.music.gdead)
  • Re: Sawstops suit against Ryobi is upheld
    ... Now here is an example of what we call a "crybaby" response. ... makes you sound like the lawyer you apparently are? ... as routinely practiced by banks/credit card companies. ... My credit card rate is about half that. ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: Got a sick e mail
    ... plans to use the second half of the $700 billion financial rescue ... American Express is now a bank, and is using their credit card ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Al Gores Doomsday Clock
    ... is always changing..what is the best temperature after all? ... Too stupid to merit a response. ... credit card to credit card. ...
    (rec.music.gdead)
  • Re: Leicas poor service
    ... Hopefully you purchased the binocs with a credit card less than 60 days ago. ... No response. ... Leica USA has my $600 binoculars somewhere in their system, ...
    (rec.birds)