RE: verizon wireless website gaping privacy holes

From: Jeff Carnahan (tails@yahoo.com)
Date: 09/03/01

Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 23:36:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeff Carnahan <tails@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: verizon wireless website gaping privacy holes
To: bugtraq@securityfocus.com

} I tried random session IDs and they gave similar
results, except the
} minutes used changed, and so did the phone
} number. I think this is a major problem myself.
Phone numbers could
} be gathered for marketting etc etc.
}

In addition to the exposed cellular numbers and usage
information, the session ID also yeilds the user's
account/login name.

Using a URL similar to the one provided earlier, again
taking advantage of the sequential nature of the
session ID code, you should look at the URL being used
to load the pop-up windows. It contains a parameter
"p_userid" set to what appears to be the
login/username of the subscribers account. Different
session id's yeild different usernames, some include
the zip code of the subscriber which allows them to be
easily located in conjunction with the telephone
number revealed in the "View my recent usage" section.

Also included in the URL is the users verizon account
number, market information, & session timeout date...

One session ID produced the message:

DFS555I TRAN ACOPT07H ABEND S000,U4010 ; MSG IN
PROCESS: ACOPT07H GETUSGA
INTERNET08448771
      2001/245 23:20:53

The spacing is exactly as it appeared. Perhaps this
will sound the alarm to Verizon that they have a
serious problem.

--
Jeff C.

  • Computer Wont Save Sign-In Info to Favorite Sites
    ... I recently signed up for Verizon DSL. ... in information from session to session. ... remedies they recommend, ... cookies to be saved to, eliminating temporary files, turning the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Verizon/Yahoo ISP Service from Hell
    ... The Verizon Online Support Center received your trouble ticket. ... Did you want to remove the yahoo portal with Verizon? ... but I want to make sure nothing on your server will change my ... Has the account that I set up combining verizon and yahoo been ...
    (comp.dcom.telecom)
  • Re: Please! Doesnt anyone know a better way to do this?
    ... account, they need to automatically be directed to the page to enter data ... session variable on the Account page. ... I assume here that you're checking a database when the user attempts to ... When a new user attempts to login or clicks to register, ...
  • RE: Yahoo Webmail Sessions
    ... session offered by Yahoo!, shouldn't that encrypt the password and help ... Subject: Yahoo Webmail Sessions ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Need to find-out improper sign-out
    ... is released & his account is ready to log-in again. ... the *old* session, ... Browser A searches on "motorcycle". ... server communication breaks off. ...
    (comp.lang.php)