Re: vmware bug?

From: Justin Nelson (security@jm4n.com)
Date: 07/31/01

From: "Justin Nelson" <security@jm4n.com>
To: <bugtraq@securityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: vmware bug?
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:53:40 -0400

>> but... stealing another users license is easy...
>> the license2.0 file in the home directory is 644 too...

I'm pretty sure the license file is something you copy into your home
directory yourself -- so just like any other file you put on your machine,
precautions should be taken to make sure only those authorized should be
able to view the file.

The only thing I'd possibly recommend to the vendor would be to note this in
the instructions sent with the license file...

Sincerely,
Justin Nelson, SFE Software
http://www.vdj.net
Justin@VDJ.Net

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Valid Product Keys for Windows XP SP2 Professional Volume License Edition
    ... Please tell me what you consider to be stealing. ... break the End User License Agreement, regardless of whether or not it is ... something that belongs to someone else. ... That agreement gives you permission to install ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Valid Product Keys for Windows XP SP2 Professional Volume License Edition
    ... and give them to my friends without being paid anything for them, I am not stealing. ... Anyone who uses it without a vlaid license is in effect stealing it. ... You paid for one license, but you took 30 others to distribute. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Is stork a troll? (was Re: Trolltech QT license question)
    ... I wouldn't consider it stealing if someone did it with MY ... The moral content that you and you alone infer from the GPL is ... (Apache license)? ... changes to the community even if they keep their modifications in-house ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • Re: Valid Product Keys for Windows XP SP2 Professional Volume License Edition
    ... under any other circumstances,** that would be stealing." ... it without a vlaid license is in effect stealing it. ... You paid for one license, ... preserving one's fair use rights. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Valid Product Keys for Windows XP SP2 Professional Volume License Edition
    ... You think they are both stealing and this is where we disagree. ... You can rationalize all you want, but if you do that in this case, you break the End User License Agreement, regardless of whether or not it is legally binding in your country. ... Breaking the MS's EULA is not a crime, because the EULA is not a law. ... They instead put more and more buggy DRM and consumer limiting technologies into their products which treats the average consumer of their products like a criminal. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)