Re: Re: URGENT MICROSOFT SECURITY ANNOUNCEMENT

From: dannyschneller@bigfoot.de
Date: 07/31/01

From: dannyschneller@bigfoot.de
To: bugtraq@securityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Re: URGENT MICROSOFT SECURITY ANNOUNCEMENT
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 09:14:45 +0200

I do not know this for sure, but it seems to me that the patch made
available from Microsoft influences other network services too. Since
installing today on a remote machine via VNC and restarting the server
(W2K Server, German) I have been unable to connect to the machine
via VNC again. IIS, WarFTP and Mercuy Mailservers however seem to
be working fine on the same machine.

Another server (Windows NT4, SP6a, English) seems to be affected,
too. After installing the patch I was unable to connect to it via SSH to
the
installed Cygwin SSHD.

So although I am not completely sure about the cause of these
malfunctions you should be careful installing the patch, especially on
machines you cannot easily reach physically.

Daniel Schneller

Relevant Pages

  • Re: MS08-067 locked up my servers
    ... When I uninstalled this> patch, ... My DCs are Windows Server 2003 R2 ... you probably followed the instructions and rebooted the server after installing the patch. ... I've seen a number of sites suggest you install the patch without restarting, and simply stop and restart the Server service. ...
  • RE: MS02-042 Patch on win2k pro kills capability to map to defaul t sh ares
    ... Given that the hotfix is claiming to be an XP one I would ... >Server (SP3 + patch), no problems found. ... >>showed that the error begin occurring immediately after installing the ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: MS03-026 patch installation
    ... But want to know that If this patch gives some ... > trouble after installing it on the server, ... > way by which I can uninstall this patch completely from ... and we're installing it on a lot of machines. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: MS02-042 Patch on win2k pro kills capability to map to default sh ares
    ... Server (SP3 + patch), no problems found. ... >After recently installing ms02-042 patch from windows update to a win2kPro ... >system event log the following error message is displayed: ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Scott, 018 breaks ILS server - any progress?
    ... Is anything being done about the fact that installing the 018 patch on a ... Windows 2000 Standard Server that uses the ILS Server for NetMeeting breaks ...