Re: vmware bug?

From: Jose Tavares (jat@terra.com.br)
Date: 07/31/01

Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 02:42:06 -0300
To: bugtraq@securityfocus.com
From: Jose Tavares <jat@terra.com.br>
Subject: Re: vmware bug?

At 15:57 30/07/01 -0400, you wrote:
>oi oi.. i recently installed vmware (the latest release of the workstation
>thing) and it crashed once or twice. But never mind that. in /tmp i found
>a file called vmware-log.starman. starman being my user on the box. Inside
>in this file is my license information and it's chmod is 777. That's kinda
>nasty don't ya think? has anyone seen similar things?
>lates
>sj

not confirmed!
when the same version of vmware is run here (2.0.4 build-1142) it puts a
vmware-log.user in the /tmp but it's chmod is 644 ...

the licensekey is in this file but the hash isn't!

but... stealing another users license is easy...

the license2.0 file in the home directory is 644 too and ~/.vmware dir is
755 ...

--
              Jose Antonio Alves Tavares Filho "_]{ILLER_"
--

  • Re: SBS 2003 > SBS 2003 Migration
    ... you cannot move your OEM license away from the hardware it is connected ... The license on the current server is a Dell OEM SBS and Outlook 2003 ... so attempted to recently using a vmware image. ... Dell Powedge 2900 running ESXI and SBS 2003 as a virtual machine, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: yum install vmware-server
    ... Correct, but not free as in open source, the license agreement is more restrictive, hence fedora can't include it ... VMware can run the vast number of downloadable pre-built images here: http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/. ... I just installed VMware Workstation 6 on a Fedora 7 host after spending a couple weeks using xen, again on a Fedora 7 host. ... My big problem with xen is that it lacks a nice graphical console that I can do real work in with a bunch of guest OSes without straining my eyes to see the tiny, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Windows XP license legal question
    ... Now I want to install VMWare so that I can run multiple ... Windows XP). ... Do I need another license for that? ... my main productivity OS (under VMWare) and use a single copy of Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • VMWare licensing file problem.
    ... Version 2 of VmWare is no longer sold so the evaluation license you got is ... most likely for version 4 (which does not run on FreeBSD yet). ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: how to install wmware in foedora 64
    ... Maybe for business pricing, but when I installed VMWare server, I was able to obtain 10 licenses for free. ... I'd upgraded twice since then and no cost has been associated with it, nor has my working license "expired". ... Now, I must admit, that my Windows XP vmware-image came from my vendor, but as long as you already have a virtual OS set up, there is no cost to upgrade. ...
    (Fedora)