Re: bug w2k

From: Carl Livitt (
Date: 07/28/01

From: Carl Livitt <>
Subject: Re: bug w2k
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 11:25:20 +0100

> Just ping
> Now press F7 and Enter (try a couple of times quickly...less than ten , and
> you can see what a meaning)
> The machine reboots, from nothing a warm reboot.

Confirmed on Win2K Pro SP2, English. The reboot would not happen when there
was no ping process. As soon as a ping was in progress, *boom*.

I did notice there was a STOP, Fatal Error blue screen that appeared briefly,
but I could not catch what it said before the machine rebooted. Perhaps
someone else will have more luck?

Does anyone know: is the F7 key (used in CMD.EXE as to bring up a
most-recently-used command list) implemented in kernel or user space? If its
in user space, then this is a doubly worrying bug as it hints that it would
be possible for a non-privileged user to write code that could cause a BSOD
and reboot. If it's in kernel space, well I just hope that this situation is
not caused by an unchecked buffer....

Carl Livitt
Code Monkey
IT in the Community

Free Dmitry!

Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free address at

Relevant Pages

  • RE: bug w2k
    ... I was able to reproduce this bug on the first try. ... not reboot until after the ping had finished. ...
  • RE: asynchronous methods or create my own threads?
    ... "djc" wrote: ... I am writing a command line utility that I can use to quickly reboot some ... In simple terms I just need to repeatedly ping the ...
  • Re: bug w2k
    ... Subject: bug w2k ... But not only by pinging a host. ... > Ping to any host, ... > The machine reboots, ...
  • RE: bug w2k
    ... it seems to work with command line programs other than ping - i've ... > - A reboot is required to kill the session. ... >Subject: bug w2k ...
  • Re: Not able to know the device is alive or not after rebooting...
    ... | I have an script to reboot the devices through an ip address. ... In order to trace that output, you could open a pipe to `ping': ... timer to time out after 2 seconds if no input arrives. ... # the timeout proc will trigger after 2 seconds if no new ping ...