Re: bug w2k

From: Carl Livitt (carl@ititc.com)
Date: 07/28/01

From: Carl Livitt <carl@ititc.com>
To: bugtraq@securityfocus.com
Subject: Re: bug w2k
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 11:25:20 +0100

> Just ping
> Now press F7 and Enter (try a couple of times quickly...less than ten , and
> you can see what a meaning)
> The machine reboots, from nothing a warm reboot.

Confirmed on Win2K Pro SP2, English. The reboot would not happen when there
was no ping process. As soon as a ping was in progress, *boom*.

I did notice there was a STOP, Fatal Error blue screen that appeared briefly,
but I could not catch what it said before the machine rebooted. Perhaps
someone else will have more luck?

Does anyone know: is the F7 key (used in CMD.EXE as to bring up a
most-recently-used command list) implemented in kernel or user space? If its
in user space, then this is a doubly worrying bug as it hints that it would
be possible for a non-privileged user to write code that could cause a BSOD
and reboot. If it's in kernel space, well I just hope that this situation is
not caused by an unchecked buffer....

Carl Livitt
Code Monkey
IT in the Community
England

--
Free Dmitry!
http://www.boycottadobe.com

  • RE: bug w2k
    ... I was able to reproduce this bug on the first try. ... not reboot until after the ping had finished. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: bug w2k
    ... Subject: bug w2k ... But not only by pinging a host. ... > Ping to any host, ... > The machine reboots, ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • RE: asynchronous methods or create my own threads?
    ... "djc" wrote: ... I am writing a command line utility that I can use to quickly reboot some ... In simple terms I just need to repeatedly ping the ...
  • RE: bug w2k
    ... it seems to work with command line programs other than ping - i've ... > - A reboot is required to kill the session. ... >Subject: bug w2k ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • Re: Not able to know the device is alive or not after rebooting...
    ... | I have an script to reboot the devices through an ip address. ... In order to trace that output, you could open a pipe to `ping': ... timer to time out after 2 seconds if no input arrives. ... # the timeout proc will trigger after 2 seconds if no new ping ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)