From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Al Grant
Sent: Monday, December 27, 2010 2:04 AM
To: secureshell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Putty; Win7; IE8

Hi All,

I REALLY hope someone here can help me. I have been trying to setup a
SSH tunnel so that when I surf the net on my laptop I can SSH into my
Ubuntu box at home and go through that for web page traffic.

Now I tried to connect to Ubuntu@home from laptop running Win7 with:

putty -ssh my.dyndns.org -l username -P 443 -D 8080 -v

and the connection establishes just fine, but when I surf to
whatsmyip.org I get a different WAN IP to my Ubuntu WAN IP. Weird, so
after a lot or trying different things (IE7, Chrome etc) I rebooted that
same laptop into Ubuntu as well and issued the exact same command but
not using putty

ssh my.dyndns.org -l username -P 443 -D 8080 -v

Now it works like a charm, so I am thinking its something specific to
Win7 or Putty. But I am at the limit of my trouble shooting. Can someone
please help.

Apparently there are some logs I can attach but not sure if server side
or client?

Also I am thinking tcpdump might help but I don't know enough about it
to use it.

Any and all help gratefully accepted!

TIA

-AL

Relevant Pages

  • terminal usability -- using keyboard to select text instead of mouse
    ... Putty has a great facility that lets you double click on part of a the ... I'd then want paste that path onto the command line so I could pass it ... move the cursor above the 'command line' 3 lines. ... with CTRL+ an arrow key, the terminal would reposition the gray box, ...
    (comp.terminals)
  • Re: Time Differences
    ... | I'm trying to figure out why different applications display different times ... | If I log in remotely using PuTTy, the date command shows the time is 10:00. ... all the file times are five hours later in the FTP ... Try running the system-config-time command from a root shell. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: regading my Host machine and VM
    ... The problem is that putty is a remote terminal application that can help you ... Download a SFTP client, install it on the host OS, connect to the VM ... the CD on some other machine and copy the vsftpd and create repo package ... create VSFTPD from the RPM command for which I need to be presentin the ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Scripting In Putty Error
    ... I'm trying desperitly to write code that will work for Putty. ... I'm trying to write a batch file that will launch Putty ... and read a script file which will run a series of commands. ... command' box in the SSH panel of the PuTTY configuration box (see ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: ANSI Color with Xterm and SecureCRT
    ... > appearence options to set the foreground and background. ... selection to use black on white as the default when in command mode. ... >> You may do better with PUTTY which comes for free. ...
    (RedHat)