Re: x forwarding over SSH

On 09/23/2010 11:26 PM, Han wrote:
I am using SSH to do X forwarding and saw an interesting problem: for
some applications, even when I closed the application itself, the SSH
session is still not closed. For other applications, SSH sessions
closed whenever I closed the application.
<snip>
In the latter case, I can see the corresponding sshd process is still
running at <host>. Is such behavior caused by the application? any
insights are appreciated.

Yes, actually, this is Firefox. When you run "firefox", you're actually running
a wrapper script that does several things before launching the actual
firefox-bin binary. I've seen quite frequently that Firefox doesn't truly "die"
when you close it (Thunderbird, Icedove, and Iceweasel all exhibit this
behavior). You likely still have processes running that are holding your ssh
session(s) open.

John

  • Re: x forwarding over SSH
    ... I tried Firefox and Prism, ... some applications, even when I closed the application itself, the SSH ... then I close the xclock app, the ssh session exits. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: Remote login, graphically?
    ... I can already login via SSH and fix things with a text editor. ... Now, I'd like to start several X programs on her machine, but have the user interface on my machine. ... However, when I start "firefox", I get the following error after some time waiting: ... The program 'firefox-bin' received an X Window System error. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: How do you kill a completely locked up thread?
    ... In this particular case, I need SSH, which for some reason Microsoft doesn't ... back in the days where there was no memory protection for applications. ... rogue application could bring the entire system down. ...
  • Re: x forwarding over SSH
    ... I notice that on Windows, Firefox lingers for a few moments after the ... some applications, even when I closed the application itself, the SSH ... then I close the xclock app, the ssh session exits. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: IPFW disconnections and resets
    ... > - SSH sessions timeout after a while ... In PuTTY or whatever other SSH client you use - enable sending of ... this is cause of ipfw or what, but the tcp session is timing out) ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)