Question about SCP stalling over VPN

Greetings,

I am attempting to SSH a series of relatively small files (tens of megabytes) over a VPN connection to a remote linux server. I am able to SSH between the servers without a problem, but when I use SCP to copy the files I start seeing the following message more and more until finally the copy grinds to a halt and eventually times out:

debug2: channel 0: rcvd adjust 131072
debug2: channel 0: rcvd adjust 131072
debug2: channel 0: rcvd adjust 131072
debug2: channel 0: rcvd adjust 131072

I've looked high and low and haven't really come up with anything definitive. Someone somewhere had mentioned fiddling with MTU settings, but I'm not really sure what that will accomplish as I am unfamiliar with what MTU is and does. If this question has been answered previously, I apologize ahead of time. Thanks!

I am running CentOS 5.3 with OpenSSH 4.3p2-29 on the server I am copying the files from, and CentOS 5.4 with OpenSSH 4.3p2.36 on the server I am copying to.
--

Matthew Case
Specialized Business Software

This message and any files transmitted with it may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. They are intended solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, distributing, copying, disclosing, or reliance on the contents of this communication is strictly prohibited. If this has reached you in error, kindly destroy this message and notify the sender immediately. Thank you for your assistance.

We attempt to sweep harmful content (e.g. viruses) from e-mail and attachments, however we cannot guarantee their safety and can accept no liability for any resulting damage. The recipient is responsible to verify the safety of this message and any attachments before accepting them.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Question about SCP stalling over VPN
    ... At server side, ... debug2: channel 0: rcvd adjust 131072 ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: SSH just works in internal network, not over the internet
    ... I can't connect to an ssh server on the internet. ... debug2: we sent a password packet, ... debug1: Authentication succeeded. ... debug2: channel 0: request pty-req confirm 0 ...
    (SSH)
  • SSH works but SFtp does not work
    ... # This is the sshd server system-wide configuration file. ... debug1: read PEM private key done: type RSA ... debug2: bits set: 512/1024 ... debug1: session_open: channel 0 ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • SSH works but SFtp does not work
    ... # This is the sshd server system-wide configuration file. ... debug1: read PEM private key done: type RSA ... debug2: bits set: 512/1024 ... debug1: session_open: channel 0 ...
    (comp.os.qnx)