chroot and access to directory OTHER than user's home directory.....

Hi,

I need to allow multiple users (users connecting from different
machines) access to a box so they can all drop (via sftp) files in a
common drop area, say /Whatever/Drop.
If I use OpenSSH with chroot and a single account "dropaccount", then
all users can access that account via sftp given the appropriate setup
(sshd_config, public keys and such).
The /Whatever/Drop directory is owned by a different account name.
That can't change.

How can I allow these users to access the /Whatever/Drop directory?

Thought maybe a symbolic link from the dropaccount's home directory
over to /Whatever/Drop might work, but it doesn't (and maybe for good
reason). But how can this be done?

Also, I think the issue is the same even if there is just one user
accessing the box this way, ie. the multiple users might just confuse
things here. So could consider just a single user with these
requirements.

Thanks

Relevant Pages

  • Re: chroot and access to directory OTHER than users home directory.....
    ... I need to allow multiple users (users connecting from different ... If I use OpenSSH with chroot and a single account "dropaccount", ... all users can access that account via sftp given the appropriate setup ... Look into group access. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: sftp-server
    ... "no-login" account; if you had, it wouldn't do you much good. ... for its peer to begin speaking the sftp protocol. ... clients generally start the server using an SSH-2 subsystem request, ... you'd configure the SSH server to ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: creating ftp users!
    ... > Doing what you suggest, I can sftp to the account, but when I do ssh to ... > that account, I get the regular login message but no prompt. ... > It somehow blocks ssh login indeed, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: creating ftp users!
    ... > Doing what you suggest, I can sftp to the account, but when I do ssh to ... > that account, I get the regular login message but no prompt. ... > It somehow blocks ssh login indeed, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Word Hangs on Save to Server (not the known issue)
    ... THIS IS NOT THE SAME PROBLEM WHICH IS WELL DISCUSSED IN THIS FORUM when Word refuses to save the file due to the temp directory and UID issue. ... This problem does not occur with any other app (I'm not 100% about other Office apps), but it certainly doesn't occur with non-Office apps. ... Create a new non-admin user account called Team. ... When any of the multiple users connects to my machine, they will do so as the user Team. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)